What is a Synthesizer?

Hello all, I have just moved into my dorm at college and am looking to get some tunes going in here. Newer systems are too expensive for my frugal budget, so I've been looking into vintage units. Stumbling across nice vintage (Realistic brand) speakers was easy on ebay, but finding a receiver has proven to be tricky. The few that are out for a cheap price are either damaged or don't work at all, which led me here. I found a synthesizer on ebay, but I'm not sure if it's suitable for me. I don't use the radio or any tape, CD or LP players; I use only my phone or computer when playing music. I have a cord with RCA plugs (red & white) on one end and a 3.5mm jack on the other to connect my phone/computer to the receiver. So, instead of messing around with a big stereo, I thought this thing would be an alternative.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970-REALISTIC-sol...

Would I be able to plug into it (via RCA plugs) and be able to drive music out to the 4 speakers?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A sound synthesizer (often abbreviated as "synthesizer" or "synth") is an electronic instrument capable of producing a wide range of sounds. Synthesizers may either imitate other instruments ("imitative synthesis") or generate new timbres. They can be played (controlled) via a variety of different input devices (including keyboards, music sequencers and instrument controllers). Synthesizers generate electric signals (waveforms), and can finally be converted to sound through loudspeakers or headphones.

Synthesizers use a number of different technologies or programmed algorithms to generate signal, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Among the most popular waveform synthesis techniques are subtractive synthesis, additive synthesis, wavetable synthesis, frequency modulation synthesis, phase distortion synthesis, physical modeling synthesis and sample-based synthesis. Also other sound synthesis methods including subharmonic synthesis used on mixture trautonium, granular synthesis resulting Soundscape or Cloud, are rarely used. (See #Types of synthesis)

Synthesizers are often controlled with a piano-style keyboard. Other forms of controllers resemble fingerboards, guitars (guitar synthesizer), violins, wind instruments (wind controller), drums and percussions (electronic drum), etc. (See #Control interfaces) Synthesizers without built-in controllers are often called sound modules, and are controlled via MIDI or CV/Gate methods.

Source(s): Hope this helps
  • ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Is A Synthesizer

• Ken C
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Another poster answered this as if it were a musical instrument.

In this case, this is not. I remember when these things came out. You plug the output of a stereo amp into this thing, and then 2 sets of speakers. It generates a fake quad (4 channel) output that really didn't sound that great.

For your application, it will do nothing for you. You would still need an amp to drive this thing (and it still won't sound that great).

Greetings from Austin, Tx

Ken

Source(s): I remember the great Quadraphonic scare of the 1970's.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.