Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 7 years ago

Why don't people from the coasts have any concept of the Midwest?

Midwest is a cultural category, not a geographic category. Arkansas and Oklahoma are not in the Midwest because they are culturally southern. Minnesota and North Dakota ARE in the Midwest because, although far from the center of the country, they are culturally midwestern.

Is it just a failure of our education system?

I live in Arkansas and 90% of the people here have southern accents, so don't tell me it's midwestern

The Midwest and South are not fly over states. If you would just give those states a visit, you'd get it.

• Jimmy
    Favorite Answer

They don't understand why it's called Midwest. I learned in Yahoo Answers that the reason is that formerly, "West" was anything west of the Appalachian Mountains. The country started out in the East and expanded westward.

• Joseph

This is a totally subjective question. It's just as easy to ask "why don't people from rural areas have any concept of the city?" The answer is that people are most concerned with the place they call "home." I don't live in the Midwest. I have lived my entire life on one coast or the other. Nothing about the midwest culture has any real impact on my life. Therefore, in order to avoid information overload, I make the conscious choice not to include the midwest in my thinking. Except when, perhaps, someone says the word "Chicago." I've been there. Nice, clean city. Next question please!