How to live in the United States?

I'm from Canada. After high school I'm going to university in California. Los Angeles.

I do have some US citizen family that was born there. They live here now due to family reasons but are still US citizens.

My aunt said shell give me some info because she was born in Canada, lived and went to school in California but is now here again, for now.

I know I can ask them, but I also want other opinions.

What visas or green cards do I need to go to school there, and afterwards permanently live there and work there after I'm done my studies? My cousins did it so don't tell me I can't. They did so I know I can go to school there and immediately stay as long as I have the proper visas and schooling requirements.

What visas do I need? I'm going to the US for better climate, a better university, and better lifestyle.

4 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Students and Employment

    If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.

    You may enter in the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

    You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program

    Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement

    You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution

    You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency

    You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study

    You must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    unless you get a scholarship or have a lot of money, you might want to think about a different state for school and CA to work in once you've completed school.

    You need a student visa to go to school here and then, assuming the DREAM ACT hasn't passed in 4 years time, you'll need a work visa. You only qualify for a work visa if the career you've trained for is in high demand.

    If the DREAM ACT passes while you're in collage all you'll have to do is graduate and then you'll get a green card.

    God bless and good luck.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    You need F-2 visa which is commonly known here as student visa. Do your research on universities in California that helps with your immigration situations, and make sure your university is accredited meaning that the courses which you take are easily transferable to other colleges and universities. Score high on SAT (2000-24000) or on ACT. Good Luck !

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

    Your central concern should be will you be able to afford to attend school in Calif because paying out of state tuition will not be cheap in Calif and you will need a lot money to attend school there.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.