Trisharoo asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 7 years ago

LoReal Hair color removal?

ALRIGHTY. So, I had a golden brown hair. And the gold brass was just hideous and... Basically, I wanted brown. I dyed it brown, it turned out almost black. The color looks awful with my complexion and I'm just... very sad about it. :(

So I bought LoReal Hair color remover, and 2 boxes of the next color I plan on dying my hair afterward.

I guess what I'm terrified of, is damaging my hair. How bad is the damage from the hair color removal? I bought an intense deep conditioning cream to put in your hair for 5 minutes. I hope that helps. I guess I just need some guidance, I've never used this product before. Tips? Etc?

Favorite Answer

Here's an example what hair stripping will do to your hair.

It is worst than hair dyes, one from YA! "I accidentally dyed my hair this awful black, stripped it, and now it is this crunchy crispy mess!"

Hair strippers are chemical treatments which are intended to strip out artificial color pigment with less risk or damage to the hair. The chemicals used are called reducing agents.

Certain 'metal' strippers containing sodium sulphoites are sold for reducing hair dyed with metallic dyes, as these dyes react violently with tint stripper containing hydrogen peroxide-the subsequent reaction may cause so much heat that the hair gets dissolved.

Bad Hair Habit: Stripping Out Hair Dye

Smart hair care includes what not to do. If you have a change of heart after you dye your hair a dark shade, stripping out the color will open the cuticle so much that it won't lie as flat as before, says Kim Steckbeck, master stylist at Studio 21 hair salon in Woodstock, Ga. The result is hair damage with dry, brittle, frizzy tresses. "Black is the hardest to remove," she says. "It typically must be done with bleach. This leaves unwanted tones in the hair. Then, you must recolor to a desirable shade. This is very stressful on the hair."

Style meets chemistry meets biology: We're talking hair coloring.

Playing with chemicals is not like playing with clothes, or doing a manicure, there are penalties for playing chemicals in the lab. Even hair color experts at the salon are not rocket scientists, they do a bang up dye jobs to their clients or their own hair.

Chemicals can enter the body through the skin.

> > > Hair dye chemicals linked to cancer

London, Feb 20, 2013 I've been saying that since 2009.

Hair dyes, which include home hair colouring kits and those used at pricey salons, are linked to deadly cancer-causing chemicals, warn scientists. In 2009 the Mail revealed that women who used hair dyes more than nine times a year had a 60% greater risk of contracting blood cancer.

A year later the European Commission banned 36 hair dyes which put long-term users at risk of bladder cancer. < < < <

Google: Teen 'feared she would die' after reaction to hair dye

The allergic reaction was caused by a well-known brand of semi-permanent hair dye Chloe used to turn her hair black for a Hallowe’en party. . . . . called for beauty bosses to ban hair dye chemical PPD (para-phenylenediamine) from the shelves. 11-04-11

The chemical is not new and is present in a number of brands of dark hair colours, acting to help adhere the dye to the hair so that it doesn't wash out. It’s made from coal tar and is used in both permanent and semi-permanent hair colours. It’s well-known to be a cause of serious allergic reactions -- including something called contact dermatitis which can lead to rashes, blisters, and open sores.

PPD is sometimes added to black henna tattoos and that using them is not safe. Allergic reactions usually begin within two to 10 days following application. One bad reaction can lead to sensitivities to other products such as hair dye, sunblock and some types of clothing dyes. Oftentimes, it's using the product a second or third time. Skin specialist Najjia Ashraf reveals that there are barely any dyes that don’t contain this toxin; even the ones who claim they don’t, are not being honest. “Big brands often escape the blame by suggesting they are ammonia-free. However, ammonia and PPD are two very different things and PPD is present in nearly every dye because it is what gives off the colour,” she explains.

Google: A 38-year old mother left in a coma after using hair dye. SHE DYED HER HAIR MANY TIMES BEFORE, USING THE SAME BRAND. The British woman who went into coma after a reaction to hair dye has died after a year. Updated 11-25-12. The woman suffered a heart failure, struggled for breath and became unconsciousness. Her family blamed paraphenylenediamine, a chemical found in hair colour. Her family has now called for paraphenylenediamine to be banned from home dye kits. In 2000, a 38-year-old Indian-origin woman from Birmingham, Narinder Devi, died after an allergic reaction to hair dye.

Permanent black hair dye is linked to causing leukemia and lymphomas.

Google search: Salon hair dye horror stories. About 305,000 results (0.20 seconds) OR Google Salon Hair Dye Lawsuits. About 336,000 results (0.17 seconds) Dec. 2011

When it comes to hair care treatments, product use or visits to a salon or spa, the consumer must take responsibility to do their homework and be aware of all the risks involved.

Google: January Jones: "My Hair Is Falling Out In Clumps" 1-28-13 To quote Joni Mitchell, "you don't know what you got till your thick hair is gone.

Source(s): Google FDA.gov & search for Hair Dye & Relaxers. Google: Hair Dye FAQ's Are Hair Dyes Safe? I stand up for cancer. No allergies here, OR hair falls when I was dyeing my hair, but I had frequent migraines, the 1st one lasted 14 hours. My mom & sister also have breasts cancer, and I'm trying to be chemical-free as much as I can and watch what I put in my body. Mom started perming our hair in the 60's. Mom had bloody noses for 75 years, and doctors didn't know why, but she was diagnosed by age 89. Sister had double mastectomy by age 35, but she's been cancer free since the early 90's

Loreal Hair Color Questions

• one

Haircolor Removers can leave hair dry and if the hair is already damaged can cause breakage but are usually safe if used as directed. Don't pay any attention to Sur La Mer she is one of these "I am a hair expert" even though she knows nothing about chemistry and has never been to cosmetology school. Once you remove the existing color the only way to get a COOL, No Gold, No Red, No Brass color is to use a Cool or Ash Brown with a Blue-Green or Violet-Blue base And I would suggest a No-Ammonia, Demi-Permanent color and remember, if the color has no gold, red, or amber highlights it's going to look darker so try a shade ONE LEVEL LIGHTER than your target shade.

Hope This Helps.

Good-Luck!!

if you have blonde hair that will naturally get bleached by the actual sun in the summer. There has been this guy in my class who had golden blonde hair that had been a medium brown near the bottom part. When he came back to school after summer vacation, it was nearly platinum blonde!