Why do the British call Americans their cousins?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I would never call an American my cousin, I can't stand them...

• 6 years ago

Lol British calling Americans their cousin is pretty insulting. Americans want nothing to with Britian. Is the U.S a Commonwealth country? No! Why? Because Americans fought a war to separate themselves from the British Empire. No American wants a English person calling them cousin. The U.S has alot more history with Mexico than Britain. Besides many Americans don't like Britain anyway.

• 6 years ago

Because the Pilgrim Fathers sailed from Boston England,and so many of the early settlers was from Britain or Ireland.

Its said the majority of the Founding Fathers were either born in Britain or was born in America when it was under British rule.

"Cousin" is a loose term and not really meant literally but it signifies our historical closeness.

• 6 years ago

Think its more the other way around. American's call the British that.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • andy c
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

I'm British and my cousin lives in Idaho.

• 6 years ago

Because politicians use this term to indicate there is some sort of 'special relationship' with the U.S. in the political sense. This has served the U.S. by persuading the U.K. to join them in their ridiculous foreign policy excursions in Iraq, Afghanistan etc, that have lead to the loss of many many innocent lives.

• guiri
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

Because so many of us have American Cousins.

Interestingly (or not) the last theatre show Abe Lincoln went to was "Our American Cousin".

("Apart from that Mrs Lincoln ; how was the show?")

• TSK
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

BECAUSE some in the US happen to be just that.....HOWEVER I hope our countries drift apart ...The US is so inward looking and NOT a force for GOOD.......DO NOT buy into the SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP CR@P....Friends when it suits the US.....

Source(s): WELSH with such in New Mexico, Alabama and California......LOVE them but they can stick their country..Used to ENVY them, back in the day, BUT NOT NOW....Feel sorry for them..Seems a failed experiment in nation building....IF ONLY IT WERE CANADA????
  • 6 years ago

because if you follow the family trees back far enough, we are related.

It is also a socially endearing term.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

certainly Not My cousins and I am British they have never acted Like Family to me since before WW2

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.