Can any Christian explain these verses from the Bible?

The Biblical prophecies on the advent of the Prophet Muhammad are evidence of the truth of Islam for people who believe in the Bible.

In Deuteronomy 18, Moses stated that God told him: “I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.” (Deuteronomy 18:18-19).1

From these verses we conclude that the prophet in this prophecy must have the following three characteristics:

1) That he will be like Moses.

2) That he will come from the brothers of the Israelites, i.e. the Ishmaelites.

3) That God will put His words in to the mouth of this prophet and that he will declare what God commands him.

Let us examine these three characteristics in more depth:

1) A prophet like Moses:

There were hardly any two prophets who were so much alike as Moses and Muhammad . Both were given a comprehensive law and code of life. Both encountered their enemies and were victorious in miraculous ways. Both were accepted as prophets and statesmen. Both migrated following conspiracies to assassinate them. Analogies between Moses and Jesus overlook not only the above similarities but other crucial ones as well. These include the natural birth, the family life, and death of Moses and Muhammad but not of Jesus. Moreover Jesus was regarded by his followers as the Son of God and not exclusively as a prophet of God, as Moses and Muhammad were and as Muslims believe Jesus was. So, this prophecy refers to the Prophet Muhammad and not to Jesus, because Muhammad is more like Moses than Jesus.

Also, one notices from the Gospel of John that the Jews were waiting for the fulfillment of three distinct prophecies. The first was the coming of Christ. The second was the coming of Elijah. The third was the coming of the Prophet. This is obvious from the three questions that were posed to John the Baptist: “Now this was John’s testimony, when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Christ.” They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the Prophet?” He answered, “No.” (John 1:19-21). If we look in a Bible with cross-references, we will find in the marginal notes where the words “the Prophet” occur in John 1:21, that these words refer to the prophecy of Deuteronomy 18:15 and 18:18.2 We conclude from this that Jesus Christ is not the prophet mentioned in Deuteronomy 18:18.

2) From the brothers of the Israelites:

Abraham had two sons, Ishmael and Isaac (Genesis 21). Ishmael became the grandfather of the Arab nation, and Isaac became the grandfather of the Jewish nation. The prophet spoken of was not to come from among the Jews themselves, but from among their brothers, i.e. the Ishmaelites. Muhammad , a descendant of Ishmael, is indeed this prophet.

Also, Isaiah 42:1-13 speaks of the servant of God, His “chosen one” and “messenger” who will bring down a law. “He will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope.” (Isaiah 42:4). Verse 11, connects that awaited one with the descendants of Kedar. Who is Kedar? According to Genesis 25:13, Kedar was the second son of Ishmael, the ancestor of the Prophet Muhammad .

3) God will put His words in the mouth of this prophet:

The words of God (the Holy Quran) were truly put into Muhammad’s mouth. God sent the Angel Gabriel to teach Muhammad the exact words of God (the Holy Quran) and asked him to dictate them to the people as he heard them. The words are therefore not his own. They did not come from his own thoughts, but were put into his mouth by the Angel Gabriel. During the life time of Muhammad , and under his supervision, these words were then memorized and written by his companions.

Also, this prophecy in Deuteronomy mentioned that this prophet will speak the words of God in the name of God. If we looked to the Holy Quran, we will find that all its chapters, except Chapter 9, are preceded or begin with the phrase, “In the Name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.”

Another indication (other than the prophecy in Deuteronomy) is that Isaiah ties the messenger connected with Kedar with a new song (a scripture in a new language) to be sung to the Lord (Isaiah 42:10-11). This is mentioned more clearly in the prophecy of Isaiah: “and another tongue, will he speak to this people” (Isaiah 28:11 KJV). Another related point, is that the Quran was revealed in sections over a span of twenty-three years. It is interesting to compare this with Isaiah 28 which speaks of the same thing, “For it is: Do and do, do and do, rule on rule, rule on rule; a little here, a little there.” (Isaiah 28:10).

Favorite Answer

“I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.” (Deuteronomy 18:18-19).

From among their brothers - this would be from among the brothers of the 12 sons of Jacob, Isaac's 2nd son; Moses was a Levite of the sons of Levi, the 3rd son of Jacob, whereas king David and then 14 generations later, Jesus came from the line of Judah, the 4th son of Jacob, whom God called Israel.

The only time God calls an Arab, he calls ALL of them[Rev17:16-Ps83:5-8] to act as 'ministers of the Judge' in His judgments against the great harlot.["Death to America!"-Rev17:16-18{Gen21:20-Jer50:29}]

If Old Testament referred to Jesus in this verse, then it is clear this verse was about a prophet of God, but all christians think Jesus is God himself. New Testament is fabricated in many ways, original scripture was abandoned, you people even don't know the real language of New Testament. However if you still seek more references that Jesus is not God Himself, then look:

. A study of the Christian scriptures reveals that Jesus (pbuh) never claimed divinity. In fact there is not a single unequivocal statement in the entire Bible where Jesus (pbuh) himself says, "I am God" or where he says, "worship me". In fact the Bible contains statements attributed to Jesus (pbuh) in which he preached quite the contrary. The following statements in the Bible are attributed to Jesus Christ (pbuh):

(i) "My Father is greater than I."

[The Bible, John 14:28]

(ii) "My Father is greater than all."

[The Bible, John 10:29]

(iii) "…I cast out devils by the Spirit of God…."

[The Bible, Mathew 12:28]

(iv) "…I with the finger of God cast out devils…."

[The Bible, Luke 11:20]

(v) "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."

[The Bible, John 5:30]

• Fuzzy

A very nice example of Islamic teaching. Well stated.

Unfortunately, here the Christian teaching and the Islamic part ways.

---------

The problem is that this is what your religion teaches. In doing this you ignore the scriptural teaching of the New Testament which is the foundation for our Christian beliefs!

Please refer to our scripture here and read it a few times to understand what we believe. It may be of interest to you- though you cannot accept this teaching:

Acts 3:19-26

19 "Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get YOUR sins blotted out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the person of Jehovah

--> 20 and that he may send forth the Christ appointed for YOU, Jesus, 21 whom heaven, indeed, must hold within itself until the times of restoration of all things of which God spoke through the mouth of his holy prophets of old time.

>>>22 In fact, Moses said, 'Jehovah God will raise up for YOU from among YOUR brothers a prophet like me. YOU must listen to him according to all the things he speaks to YOU. 23 Indeed, any soul that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.'<<<

24 And all the prophets, in fact, from Samuel on and those in succession, just as many as have spoken, have also plainly declared these days. 25 YOU are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant which God covenanted with YOUR forefathers, saying to Abraham, 'And in your seed all the families of the earth will be blessed.'

-->26 To YOU first God, after raising up his Servant, sent him forth to bless YOU by turning each one away from YOUR wicked deeds."

As you can see, our teaching cannot embrace your religion's teachings!

Those verses are foretelling the coming of Jesus not Muhammad. The prophet would be a Jew.

• You are absolutely spot on!!

You listened to the "glad tidings" of the series life of Muhammad(saw) ??

Bible confirming Muhammad(saw) in EXTREMELY great details (WITH REFENCES): http://archive.org/download/01-Introduction_594/07...

Go kill a 12-year old girl for 'eniticing before the Pure One'

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Articles/Like_Mos...

I no longer waste my time on the over active imagination of Muslims.

thats referring to Jesus.

• Duck

There are many who would say that he is talking about Paul.