Marina asked in HealthDental · 7 years ago

General Questions about Palatal Expander?

Okay so it's called like palatal or palate expander. I have a lisp because of my narrow jaw and I have to to open up my mouth and blah blah blah. So the bad part about this is that my saliva is like stuck on the roof of my mouth and doesn't come out until I take it out and it's really awkward when I'm like slurping back my spit. My lisp is also worse with it like I can barely speak without sounding like Stacy dilson from zoey 101 (anyone remember)? Btw its day 2 of wearing this So I just wanna ask

1) how can I get rid of the spit thing

2) how can I talk normally with this?

3) will my regular lisp disappear while I have this?

4) will my tounge learn to touch the bottom part of my teeth Instead of the top as I have this?

You don't have to answer everything thanks

• Sandy
    Favorite Answer

I can't say exactly how long it will take, but you will talk normally again. The more you talk, the faster you'll get used to it. Read out loud, read to your dog, or your cat, or your hamster. Sounds crazy, but practice is what you need.

Here's why you have so much saliva - your brain knows that there's something in your mouth and thinks it's food, so it signals your body to make more "spit". Soon your brain will learn that it doesn't have to do that.

If you had a lisp because of a narrow jaw, that should go away because the expander is making your jaw wider.

Your tongue should learn to touch the bottom.

Don't get frustrated; it will get better!

Source(s): Orthodontic assistant with over 30 years of experience.