Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandOther - Ireland · 7 years ago

who agrees that in this country we need the death penalty for drug dealers , pedophiles , and murderers?

the justice system in this country is to soft thats why their is so many criminals i think we need the death penalty for drug dealers , pedophiles and murderers that would put a stop to the nonsense

Favorite Answer

No!! Allot of people here in Ireland believe people deserve a second chance.

• R - G

Two reasons I would never vote for the death penalty:

- Not everyone who is released is innocent, not everyone convicted is guilty. Mistakes happen. If England hadn't abolished the death penalty the Guildford 4 and Birmingham 6 would have died.

- The real punishment with the death penalty isn't on the condemned (I think I'd prefer that to knowing I'd leave prison in a box as old man), but on his/her family.

The justice system in this country is crap. End of story. There should be a list of offences for which life is the only sentence, including but not limited to pre-meditated murder, rape (both of adults and kids), running a gang which kills someone etc.

I know they say the jails are full, but if they release people inside for silly crappy things like not paying a fine for a TV licence, defaulting on an order to repay a loan etc and use community punishments for the silly things, there would be a lot more space inside.

The main trouble with the death penalty is that if the wrong person is convicted, you can't undo the penalty. Unfortunately this has occasionally happened. But I think life should mean life, and not just a holiday camp for a couple of years and a revolving door and back to business as usual. The likes of the recently jailed gang leaders (who may still be directing operations from the comfort of their cells) should have a much firmer regime and no access to outside communication. There should be some ways of getting them to physically repay their debt to society.

There are others who need the severest penalties besides drug dealers, paedophiles and murderers. Yes, these have destroyed lives - but what about the banksters and other fraudsters who destroyed lives too? And again, what about those whose actions have driven others to suicide?

• Flukey

The death penalty is wrong for many reasons. If someone is innocent, but found guilty, you can't go down to the graveyard and dig them up, dust them down, say sorry and send them on their way. If someone innocent is killed like that, shouldn't the logic of the justice system then say that the judge, jury and executioner should be sentenced to death for killing an innocent person? Do supporters of the death penalty think that should happen? Have you ever even heard of it happening? If you do support the death penalty then that is exactly what should happen.

There are the contradictions of the death penalty. The fundamental one is the justice system saying "You murdered someone, murder is wrong, so we are going to murder you." You can't have it both ways. If it is wrong for the person to kill someone, then it is wrong for them to be killed. You are effectively condoning what they are doing. There is also the one I already mentioned, the contradiction of anyone from the justice system not facing the death penalty if an innocent person is executed as a result of their actions.

Of course, if you do support the death penalty then logically you would never use it. That sounds stupid you are saying, but think about it. If you support the death penalty, then you think it is ok to kill people, so if someone is found guilty of murder you would not see them as having done anything wrong, so you'd see no reason to punish them at all.

If we murder murderers, shouldn't that mean that we should rape rapists, sell drugs to drug dealers, steal things from the homes of burglars and so on? We'd have no need for prisons at all, well maybe with the exception of someone being found guilty of imprisoning someone.

If someone is guilty of murder or other very serious crimes, then lock them up permanently, or at least for a very long time.

• Pat

I am American, and I think the death penalty is appropriate in some cases. In the past people have been wrongly executed, but with dna technology, the perfect crime is near impossible, and errors are non existent. Some people flat out deserve to die. Drug dealers, eh, they are dirtbags and filth but not really deserving death. Premeditated murder, yes. If you plan to murder someone and rob them and their family of life, why should you be allowed to live? In my opinion why let the devil wait for 'em?

Now crimes of passions, no. If you find a guy in bed with your wife and in a fit of rage you kill him, I don't think you deserve it. You were in a crazed state and not thinking clearly. But if you plan to kill him three days later and hide the body, that is premeditated.

Paedophiles should be castrated, or executed, since if they return to society they WILL do it again.

• BobR96

No. Killing as the penalty is just wrong and barbaric. Life imprisonment for pedophilia and murderers (except in certain situations such as self defence). But life meaning life. 15 years or less on good behaviour isn't life! Drug dealing shouldn't be that bad though. A few years, maybe depending on what class of drug.

• ?

No. I would never vote to have someone killed. No matter what. In my opinion the life sentence should be life. **** 15 years. Life should be death and a day.

Also I think drug dealing should not be painted with the same brush as pedophiles and murderers.

I don't agree with death penalties no matter the crime.

I do believe however Pedophiles should get a life sentence.

LIfe meaning life , cos there is no cure for them and it is our duty to protect kids from these sicko's.

• petras

sure, even though it would want to be administers better acceptable than in u . s .. A prisoner on lack of life row in u . s . might want to be in penitentiary waiting for sentence to be performed for years & years. i imagine once the sentence is given a prisoner must have a million month to assert his goodbyes, make his peace with in spite of God he worships & the sentence performed. that is psychological torture to evoke each and every morning no longer understanding if it truly is the day they allow you to recognize once you'll die. also, if we carry contained in the shortcoming of life penalty for some crimes it would really help carry down the numbers & thereby the cost & also perchance act as a deterrent to others.

I agree why should we let a murderer walk the streets again and why should the members of the public pay for his food?

I doubt Gerry Adams the IRA leader would allow that.