Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

How are Miniature Schnauzers different from Scottish Terriers?

I have a three year old Scottie and I want another dog to go with her. I love her breed. She is such a great dog. I would really like another Scottie, but Miniature Schnauzers seem so wonderful too. How are they different (ease of training, personality wise) from eachother?

Favorite Answer

I raised Miniature Schnauzers for over 20 years, and I can assure you they are absolutely nothing like the Scottie. Schnauzers actually are called the "un-terrier, terrier" because they have very few behaviors that fit the terrier pattern. During those years, I found the black and silvers were far more laid back than the salt and pepper Minis and trained easily. Mine all loved kids and other animals, were very easy to housebreak (most of my pups were housebroken when sold), were not a destructive breed and were cuddlers when you wanted them to be, but independent if that's what you wanted. Health problems are usually eye or bladder problems which can be bred out of lines if a breeder knows what they are doing, so if you decide on a Schnauzers make sure you discuss this with the breeder. She or he should be able to produce testing results for CJC (congenital juvenile cataracts) PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy), Bladder and kidney stones.

The grooming is about the same as a Scottie. You can pluck or shave depending upon whether you want the coat to look like a conformation coat, or simply a pet coat that is easier to care for.

Source(s): Breeder, retired Groomer

Miniature Scottish Terrier

I believe the miniature schnauzer would be easier to train as they are people pleasing dogs. They require regular grooming and are a non shedding breed. They are obedient, loyal, good family pet, guard dog qualities, super energetic and if not given an outlet they can drum up their own trouble and they can be stubborn at times. Both breeds share most of the same traits. Scotties are more prone to several hereditary diseases and or conditions. I have 2 Giant Schnauzers and love the breed but they are high maintenance.

Their size, shape, origin, type, temperament, function, history...

The Scottish Terrier is a short-legged terrier, feisty and independent with moderate energy levels.

The Miniature Schnauzer is a long-legged multi-purpose ratter, game and independent with moderate-to-high energy levels.

I would consider the Schnauzer easier to train, but also more prone to mischief in the first place.

It's the owner that needs to learn how to train the dog, so sending it away to be trained means it will work for the trainer, but when it gets home the owner will probably do everything wrong and the dog will not respond correctly. Learn how to train your dog obedience https://tr.im/zqkeJ

Part of the fun in having a well trained dog is learning to train it correctly yourself. That is also the most rewarding. Some people send dogs away for specialist training, like sheep herding, protection work or gundog training, but even then, that is the lazy way out and good trainers do their own training to get what they want from their own dogs.

However it is always more productive to train your dog under a good instructor, especially if you are not experienced

Its because there a bit taller they have hair not fur, they're easyer to train, there better with kids (more kind) there a little lighter and there a little more noisy and there better with other dogs. And a few more are there from germany, shnauzers were ratters and companions while scotties were ment for vermin cotrol.

• CDog

In my opinion, they are easier to train (not as stubborn) but yappier. I like them, though.