Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 8 years ago

What should I major in to become a game warden?

I want to be a game warden in the state of Texas. They require a bachelors degree so I'm wondering what I should study to help me get hired? I also want a degree that would give me a good backup plan since I guess its pretty tough to land one of these jobs.

Any other advice would be helpful as well? Would getting a job as a cop help first? Or volunteer all I can. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

To be a Game Warden in Texas requires a Bachelor's Degree in Animal Husbandry. Minoring in Criminal Justice will prepare you for a position in law enforcement in any field and will look great on your resume when you apply for the Game Warden job. If there are no positions opened in the game and Fish Department, you might apply to the Department of Public Safety and become a State trooper until a Game Warden position opens.

Source(s): Texas Police Academy graduate and current law enforcement
  • J.W.

Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many law enforcement agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a college degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Agronomy, animal science, biology, environmental science, fisheries/wildlife biology, conservation biology, forestry, forest management, natural resource management, range management, range science, agricultural science, zoology, ecology are some majors that you might want to consider. Whatever major you choose, make the most of your time in college. Choose a school that is properly accredited, get the highest grade point average that you can, participate in a couple extracurricular activities, get a good internship, do some regular volunteer work, don't do anything illegal, and maintain a good reputation.

Requirements to become a game warden and how you become a game warden depends on the agency that you want to work for. Visit the websites of the agencies that you might want to work for. Agency websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. If you are interested in animals and/or the outdoors and law enforcement, you might want to also consider titles such as animal cruelty investigator, humane law enforcement officer, and park ranger. You might be interested in federal jobs such as Uniformed Law Enforcement officer for the United States Forrest Service or Special Agent, Wildlife Inspector for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Special Agent for the Environmental Protection Agency. Consider local, state, and federal jobs. Best of luck!

• Mercy

Ask the warden recruiting office these questions. They would know best.