When was a single pivotal moment in the psychological or moral development of Jane Eyre?

and how does that single moment shape the meaning of Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre?

HOW DOES THE SINGLE MOMENT SHAPE THE MEANING OF JANE EYRE

Favorite Answer

Chantal G, you answered extremely well. All of her answers were pivotal moments, but I think the biggest one was when Jane realized that Rochester was married. She ran out of the church and refused to marry him. Then, she left Thornfield. That part was the epiphany of morality. Even though he explained the situation, she still held to her morals. It shapes the meaning of Jane Eyre because Jane stuck to her morals, showing her to be a strong, independent woman, instead of a weak one who needed a rich man to have a good life. And THEN she came back and married Rochester, blind, maimed man that he was, Which proves that she wasn't after his money or looks.

Pivotal Moment Meaning

Hello,

It's been way too long since I've read Jane Eyre (Chantal G I think did a very good job of answering your question)!

This was the only other way I could think of contacting you (not sure if the email system actually works). I'm the person whose question you answered about a writing partner : ) My email address is notjustanotherjanedoe@yahoo.com, if you want to get to know each other a bit better. I'm currently working on a dark fantasy, how about you?

I can think of several moments.

Her friend's death at the school.

When she realizes how her childhood anger at her aunt made her aunt decide not to help her.

When she realizes why she would never tolerate marrying the rigid minister who turned out to be her cousin.