Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

What if in 2008, instead of Palin, McCain picked an out of the box choice such as?

eBay CEO Meg Whitman for Vice President. How do you think the election would've fared?

How about with HP CEO Carly Fiorina?

Just curious

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually that's an interesting question.

First of all, I don't think candidates of either party pick their own running mate. I think the running mate is carefully selected by a committee. The candidate is always given credit, because it's the first 'presidential' thing he does. (I could be wrong about that. What do I really know? Just that EVERY decision in a political campaign has great political importance, and this is one of the most important.)

My observation was that Palin was picked as McCain's running mate (by him or whoever) for two major reasons.

First, McCain was the least loved by fundamentalist Christians, having criticized them once as 'intolerant'. The Repubs didn't think he could win without their support, and I think they were probably right about that. So he was seen to need a very conservative running mate who would bring the Religious Right back into his camp. Palin did that, no doubt about it!

The other reason she was picked was to push Obama off the front page. All through the election, a black guy getting nominated by a major party was THE major story, and Obama was big news. When Sarah Palin was picked as McCain's running mate, SHE was the big story. Even the announcement of her selection was carefully timed, it came on the morning after Obama's very impressive acceptance speech to a packed football stadium. And that worked too! For two weeks, Palin dominated the news. Everyone loved her until she began embarrassing herself in interviews. Whitman or Fiorina would have been just -dull-. They would have been non-stories.

The old practice in the GOP is to pick a conservative presidential candidate and a moderate running mate, or vice versa, to widen the appeal of the ticket. McCain and Romney were not able to do this because they didn't feel they were able to take their base for granted, and this is one reason they both lost so big. You'll see several answers to this question from faithful Republicans saying they won't vote for RINOs. Many Republicans thought McCain and Romney were just too 'liberal' because their campaign rhetoric wasn't firey and angry enough.

In the coming election, Chris Christie already seems to be staking out his territory at the moderate end of the party, and listen to the seething hatred he gets from the right wing of his own party! If he does get nominated (somehow) he'll need a real right-wing firebrand as a running mate to bring the Tea Party along. The biggest problem the GOP faces today, in fact it's a threat to their very existence, is that they desperately need to attract at least SOME women, minorities and young people, without offending the hard-liners who want the party to slide further and further to the right.

• 8 years ago

And yet Meg Whitman was beaten by Moonbeam Brown because she made the 'mistake' of firing an illegal immigrant (who recovered her lost wages due to "unlawful termination") and Fiorina did work in the McCain campaign. If you do some research, you will discover that Palin actually invigorated and otherwise lackluster campaign so you can't "blame Palin" for the loss. In any case, anybody chosen as a Republican runner, running mate, or even staffer is immediately put under "Whack-a-Mole" scrutiny just like those who ran in 2012 so really it makes little difference who is chosen... just that they run against the Press Favorite Democrat!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I probably would have voted for him. I had heard that he wanted Joe Lieberman..The problem is the GOP keeps picking VP candidates who are screeching louder than their nominee. Palin once referred to the ticket as Palin/McCain..

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Conservutard Hall of Fame?

Escapade owns the cuntry now. Who put the C in Cuntry?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Teekno
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

It would have gone the same way.

Palin didn't lose the election for the GOP. The financial meltdown did.

• 8 years ago

The republicans were going to lose no matter what. You had the historic possibility of the nation's first african-american president and the economy was going to the pits with a republican in office.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Palin was unpopular with some, but she GOT McCain more votes than she cost him, BY FR.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

No one would have defeated the illegal votes cast by illegals for Obama. Thus the reason Liberals are against voter ID.

Source(s): OBAMA GIRL SAID IMPEACH OBAMA AND SAVE THE WORLD
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

cons were in for a historic loss one way or the other in 2008

• Di
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

No difference.

The fix was in for Obama and any other contenders were simply showing up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.