Found a cavity. Root canal or filling?

I'm not gonna lie, my brushing habits are pretty bad. I usually zone out and end up focusing just on the sides of my mouth and the front of the teeth while barely paying attention to the tops and backs. I brushed every school day (I definitely didn't brush for the whole three minutes though, more like half... show more I'm not gonna lie, my brushing habits are pretty bad. I usually zone out and end up focusing just on the sides of my mouth and the front of the teeth while barely paying attention to the tops and backs. I brushed every school day (I definitely didn't brush for the whole three minutes though, more like half that). I never really brushed at nights because I'd either completely forget or get too tired to get out of bed to brush. This summer I haven't been brushing much because I barely leave my room. I know it's bad and gross and I need to fix my habits; I'm working on it.

I have two cavities that I know of. The first one I knew about. Not sure how long exactly I've had it, but I've known about it since April or May. I had two appointments with the dentist to fill cavities. During the first appointment, the dentist didn't numb me enough and I was in tears during the filling. I told my mom that I refused to go back to her considering this is the third time she's done this (the first time involved pulling two teeth). My mom tried to find a new dentist but all the reviews for places that would take our insurance were mixed. The problem was kinda just ignored until now because we didn't want a dentist that had more negative reviews than positive ones and the tooth didn't bother me (and still doesn't).

Last night I noticed that a different tooth felt weird when I poked it with my tongue. (I think it's called a premolar or first molar. The tooth right next to the canine on the bottom left). I looked at it in a mirror and saw a little hole. I can't tell how bad it is just by looking, but it's feeling a little weird now. I hope it's just because mouth wash, brushing three times, poking it, and the fact that I'm aware of it now are just causing me to imagine the feeling or exaggerate it. I haven't really felt sensitivity or pain around the gums, and I know it's only been developing for three or four months because the dentist didn't point this one out the last time I saw her. Do you think I caught it early enough? I've already talked to my dad the second I saw he was awake and I'm gonna tell my mom when she wakes up too so I can make sure they find a dentist for me.

I'm 16, I don't handle pain very well, and I'm completely terrified of the dentist. I really don't want this to require a root canal, so please give me some good news.