What are some tips that you would give someone who is planning on moving to a new city?

I'm 23 years old now, and I just graduated from college. I'm now in the process of finding a job, and I will probably have to move out soon. I now live in Jacksonville, Florida. I've been spending a lot of time on Indeed and other job searching websites, and I've noticed that a lot of the jobs that I'm eligible for are in other states (like Ohio, Massachusetts, Virginia, etc.). Well, up until now I've lived with my parents, so I don't know what it's like to be on my own. What are some important things to keep in mind when moving to another city/state. And what are some things to keep in mind if you plan on finally living on your own, by yourself away from your hometown and your family? Thanks a lot in advance!

Favorite Answer

Try to find people in the new city that you can trust. Maybe they are friends of friends or a church affiliated with the one you go to now or members of a professional association you belong to. At least you'll have someone to honestly answer your newbie questions.

If you can afford it, get a short-term stay apartment or extended stay hotel room at first, so you can take some time apartment hunting. You don't want to rush into signing a year's lease, only to find that the nice-looking complex is in a bad neighborhood. You can ask about neighborhoods on craigslist or ask the people you'll be working with. You can often research them online, too.

You will need to find get the utilities turned on - electricity and maybe gas, phone, water, cable, Internet.

If an apartment looks like it needs maintenance, make sure the landlord will do it before you move in. If they laugh it off, don't rent from that landlord. If they blame previous tenants for everything that's wrong with an apartment, don't rent from them. You want a landlord who will keep your place in good repair and not blame you for normal usage. Apt. complexes tend to be better about this, because they're run by corporations for which maintenance is a normal business expense.

Make a list of must-haves and a list of nice-to-haves. For example, you might require quiet neighbors, central air, good cell phone reception, a place that allows pets, etc. You might not want to be near train tracks (trains going by can be noisy), the corner bar or on the ambulance route.

Ask about bugs. What kinds of bug problems have other tenants complained about and how often? What about mice? Obviously, the best answer is that they don't have problems, but if they have roaches or mice, you want to know.

Eastern Massachusetts apartments are very expensive and hard to come by. It's very normal for people to pay a month's rent to a real estate agent to find them an apartment. Realize that a month's rent could be $1500 - $2500. If you work north of Boston, it's much less expensive to live over the border in New Hampshire. No income tax in NH, but if you work in MA, you'll pay taxes to MA.

You'll need to switch your driver's license, car registration, car insurance soon after you move there. All of that will cost money.

Oh, instead of living on your own, you could get a roommate. Look on craigslist for apartment or house shares. Besides saving you money, it's a great way to transition to living on your own.

When moving to a new city that you are completely unfamiliar with, it is best to do some research about the city. I have found that studying google maps, and demographic information has helped me learn the good areas from the bad, and allowed me to find my own apartment in a decent área, as well as give me insight to places to do, things to see, etc.

I moved from Alabama to Chicago. I quickly noticed a huge difference in driving conditions. It is important to know traffic laws, parking ordinances, and the public transit system if you are moving to a major city. This will help you get around, and avoid things like getting your car booted, and keep you safe on the road.

As for moving into your own place, if you have lived with your parents your whole life, it will be a major adjustment. It always seems like it would be great at first, but you may find yourself getting homesick, and missing that life after a while.

It is important to realize that there are many underlying expenses that people don't think about when you first move out.on your own. For one, when you first get an apartment, or any kind of residence, you will likely need to pay for your own utilities. If you do not have established history with the utility companies, they often charge deposits for new customers. Between power, gas, water and cable, you will need to put aside a few hundred dollars for this.

You will also need to have your Basic Essentials and household items. Dishes, pots, pans, toiletries, furniture, etc, can be a bit of an expense, so it ismportant to realize this. You will also likely sign a léase on an apartment, and so therefore, you are responsible for maintaining your rental. Most places require a security deposit, and If you maintain your place, and dont trash it, you get your security depoait baxk when you leave, this will help you pay for your next place in the future, you dont want to lose this by trashing the place.