How should I respond to this employer's references request?

So I submitted a cover letter and resume for a job in another town where no one knows me. It's a very technical job and both the town and company are very small, and even in my town there aren't a whole lot of people with the skill and experience I have for this job. So I thought I stand a pretty good chance. I emailed my resume and cover letter and I got a response back the very next day! They wanted three professional references. I do not list contact info in my resume because I have learned that isn't really appropriate. My question is... the application window for this job is supposed to be open for another two weeks. Should I go ahead and submit the references? They haven't even invited me for an interview yet. I thought that was the time to ask for references.

Favorite Answer

it's not a standard. Some employers want to see the references before they schedule an interview, some after or during. Yes, submit them now. You must have a pretty good chance of getting the job because they asked so quickly.

Source(s): I am an HR professional.

Submit the references. They're clearly interested, and your ability to provide references helps to establish your credibility- if you refuse to supply them, or simply wait, what message do you think that sends to the hiring manager?

Source(s): Hiring manager for www.physicianreferralmarketing.com