25th Anniversary of the ADA?

I am designing a series of buttons to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the ADA. So I am going to make buttons with head shots of 25 heroes of the disability movement. I posted this question on two listservs I belong to and got very different responses. I thought it would be interesting to see what people here might SERIOUSLY suggest.

How did Reagan help people with disabilities and who is Davis?

The idea behind the buttons is to help people recognize the people in the movement the way we recognize other important people in civil rights movements - there will be people who have fought for the rights of people with invisible disabilities.

The image of Rosa Parks most people recognize. Martin Luther King. ------I want the image of Justin Dart and Ed Roberts, and Tom Harken to be equally recognizable. The number 25 is because these are being developed for the 25th anniversary of the ADA in 2 years.

Bob Kafka and Michael Winter are surely 2 who will be included. My son and I were at the capitol crawl - but we won't be : ) I have over 75 names now and it is fascinating to see who people include. I may have to make 25 for the ADA, 25 for Pre-ADA, and 25 emerging leaders. I don't want to leave anyone out and I am learning so much from doing this. We have a rich history. We need to know it.

Favorite Answer

Tom Harkin

any of the activists & disabled people who participated in the Capital Crawl

the people who took time off work to attend & testify about their disabilities to the senate hearings

maybe make circle with a line crossing out RayGun Ronnie... over his attempts to deregulate Section 504.. supposedly, asking a business to accommodate disabled people was considered an "expensive burden" from Reagan's point of view & he wanted to deregulate the small protections that were in place

and I was looking for the sponsor of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act... even though that was in '77, it was predecessor for ADA law as we know it & without it along with the legal testing that followed, we might not have been able to get ADA laws in place

For those unfamiliar with Capital Crawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cBGj-Mp8ww

Youtube thumbnail

EDIT TO ADD: ---- Thank You --- for spending your time, energy & money to be there!!!

• Lynn

How about people who didn't let a disability stop them?

Joni Earickson Tada

Thomas Edison

Ray Charles

Stevie Wonder

Andrea Bocelli

Doc Watson

Blind Lemon Jefferson

Blind Willie McTell

Christopher Reeves

Marlee Matlin

Harriet Tubman

FDR

Helen Keller

Ann Sullivan

Albert Einstein

Steven Hawkings

Terry Bradshaw

If you don't mind they aren't American, there is always Beethoven, John Milton, Agatha Christie, Horatio Nelson, Richard Branson, Homer and Isaac (Jacob and Esau's dad)

I think you should make an image for both visible AND invisible disabilities--as opposed to specific people.

Getting the publlic aware that both categories do exist---and this is who the law legally covers would and should be the focus.

The specific people were certainly important and did accomplish a milestone of historical importance. But it wasn't only for their individual and personal benefit. They weren't doing things just to make a scene. This was a social movement, benefiting masses of people.

Ronald Regan

Ms. Davis

I would definitely include Michael Winter, and I think that it's amazing on what you're doing Teddy.