internet speed test ??????????????

It says on speedtest.net that i have 1 mbps or whatever it is.

but since 1 mbps in internet is 120 kb/sec

then why doesnt my download speed reach 120kb/sec its 70kb/sec

it says http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2904118492

i have 1.1 Mbps which means 120 kbs/sec right?

when i download something from the internet the download speed comes 50-60 kb/sec

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1.1 Megabits per second (mbps) is a maximum speed of 137.5 kilobytes per second (kbps).

1.1 x 0.125 = 137.5

0.125 is used as there are 8 bits in one byte.

Your download will never always be the full 137.5kbps as other people in your area will be using the same network connection and your computer will also be using multiple network connections for various tasks - such as, for example, downloading updates, relaying messages in AIM Messenger or skype, browsing the web etc. It also depends on how busy the line is at any given time at the other end of the connection. The quality of your connection also plays an important role in this.

Source(s): BSc and MSc in computer sciences Data Centre Operator
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Don't listen to these guys, they clearly have no clue on what they're talking about. I am a developer at Microsoft so I know a thing or two about computers. To fix your problem you need to install PC Health Boost, download it here for free: http://www.healthboostpc.com/

It's very light and it's the only antivirus/cleaner with a 99.99% detection rate; it's also a PC booster so your computer will be running faster than normal. Install it, hit run and problem solved. It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

there may be a bottleneck from the place youre downloading from. It happens.

Or maybe you've downloaded too many torrents and your provider has capped you speed (Virgin do this)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.