Is it safe to clean your glass bong with toluene?

I just cleaned it out with the stuff and rinsed it out with soap and water a couple times but I can still smell it inside.

Favorite Answer

I am an MD. I would say that it is not safe. It is safe for now, but toluene exposure has been linked to cancer, especially leukemia. However, there is a 25-30 year delay between exposure and death, so you should be ok for the next few decades.

Better and safer choices would be acetone, methyl ethyl ketone (MEK), or mineral spirits. I personally would recommend MEK as the best choice, available in most home centers in the paint department.

You can use the Internet to see the MSD - - Material Safety Data - on toluene and methyl ethyl ketone. Of the two, toluene has worse long term implications. But a one time use is hardly dangerous.

I know I'm an old fogey, but have you considered tossing your bong and getting high on salted peanuts and a can of beer?

You are smoking marijuana and worried about the cleanliness of the glass? That's like flossing your teeth while driving over a cliff. It you really care about safety, throw away the bong.

yes, you'll be fine