Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 6 years ago

are H2O and H4O2 the same? And also tell how?

Please do not give silly answers

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Julia
    Lv 5
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

There's no such thing as H4O2 in this world.

There is 2 H2O, that is, two H2O molecules, but they'll not be bonded like the hydrogens are bonded to the oxygen on the water molecule, hence you shouldn't call it H4O2.

But if it did exist (the said H4O2 compound), it most certainly would have different properties from those of H2O.

Take graphite and diamond, for example. What if I told you both of them are made only of carbon atoms?

The only difference on the molecular level is the arrangement of these atoms. Yet, they have so many differences on the macroscopic level that it is kinda counter-intuitive.

White phosphorus and red phosphorus (and scarlet, and violet, and black phosphorus) are another example (they're all made of phosphorus atoms only, and have very different properties).

• 6 years ago

Ah, I've got to give you a goofy answer. My father taught science and he used to ask his students three questions. (1) What's H2O? Answer: water. (2) What's H2O2? Answer: hydrogen peroxide. (3) What's H2O4? Answer: to drink......get it? H2O is FOR drinking. He thought it was funny; I'm pretty sure his students didn't.

Okay, now for a serious answer. Water is amazing stuff. Most people have no idea how unusual water is. I could give you many examples; I'll just give you two. Water expands when it freezes. Most things contract. This little difference makes all life possible on earth. If water acted like almost all substances and got heavier when it became a solid, it would fall to the bottom of the ocean when it froze and all the water on the planet would eventually freeze except for a small amount on the surface. Since we believe all life originated in the oceans, there wouldn't have been sufficient liquid water for that to happen. Okay second thing: water should be a gas at room temperature; it shouldn't exist as a liquid. If you have any knowledge of chemistry, you should know that H2S should be chemically very similar to water. Sulfur and oxygen belong to the same chemical family and since H2S is almost twice as heavy as water and is a gas at temperatures above 80 degrees below zero Celsius, water should be a gas until you get a temperature well below -80 degrees Celsius. This also makes life possible. Okay, so why is water a liquid above zero degrees Celsius? Answer: because the formula H2O for water isn't really correct. Water molecules bond together with a particular type of bonding that's called hydrogen bonding. Water is a polar molecule; that is it has a positive and a negative end. It turns out that groups of water molecules stick together and act as if their formula was H16O8 or H14O7 or.......you get the idea? So technically there are groups of molecules in liquid water which constantly change their formulae and there are molecules of water which can be considered H4O2

• Robin
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

No, they would not be the same because H2O is a single molecule with 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen while H4O2 would be a single molecule with 4 hydrogen and 2 oxygen. The proper way to write 2 water molecules is 2H2O

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.