- Chow Man MalLv 77 years agoFavorite Answer
The College itself was renamed Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, honouring the prominent Virginia educator and long-time resident of the College's service area.
Dr. Lancaster began his career as Associate Master of the Chamberlayne School for Boys in Richmond. He was a professor of Agricultural Education at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and became Dean of Men at the University of Alabama in 1923. He served as the Virginia State Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1941 and became President of Longwood College in 1946. In 1955, he became the Chair of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia.
He later retired to Bath County where he served on the school board. Over his lifetime, Dr. Lancaster served on the boards of Madison College (currently James Madison University), Sweet Briar College, Virginia Theological Seminary and Episcopal High School.
- JohnLv 57 years ago
Mr. & Mrs. Lancaster's son.