Are countertop dishwashers worth the price?

Looking to buy a dishwasher & came across countertops in Consumer Reports. They look very small. The price is right but I don't know if this is a good buy for me. I'm a real cook but being single I don't mess up that many dishes. Has anyone bought & used one? Are they difficult to hook up or do they require a separate hook up kit? They were advertised as primarily for college students but us older lazy people need this kind of thing too. I would appreciate any input.

Favorite Answer

Unpacking the unit was the hardest part of the installation. It came well protected inside the box with foam and wood crating. Once I got it out of that darn box (not very easy done by one person) it was pretty much a matter of screwing on the pair of hoses included and it was good to go. It came with everything needed to run it right out of the box. It even came with a sample pouch of cascade that lasted about two weeks and a small sampler of rinse agent, which lasted well over a month. I changed the aerator attachment on my tap to the one included with the unit. It fits both male and female threading on the faucet.

The Quick Connect adapter snaps effortlessly onto your tap, and drains directly from the adapter, not a hose hooked onto the sink's edge like other makes. Unlike the Haier units, this one drains fine no matter how much it is below the sink level. It is powerful enough to get all the water out even when set on the floor!

The machine itself is much more attractive than model DDW399 &W, the model most reviewed. It has the same features, shape and size, except the door and control panel are much more modern looking on mine, and the the dispensers look different. My model has a dispenser for the second cycle, which the previous models do not. The rinse agent dispenser is on the door, not in the rear like before. The rack in mine is grey, and may have been improved over previous models with the chipping problem. I'll update on that later.

To those who have never saw this dishwasher, it looks like a great big microwave oven. Unlike an oven that size, I can easily lift the dishwasher by myself. The window is kind of pointless, because it is so tinted you can only see the spraying of soapy water on it... though I wouldn't want the model without the window. It just looks better with it. Save a couple bucks without the window if you want.

The machine's beautiful and durable Stainless Steel Tub and interior is surprisingly large and has a single, quite powerful Spray Arm, also made of Stainless for extra durability. That's compared to other makes of Countertop Dishwashers where the interior and tub are made of white plastic. Should the spray arm fail, Danby will send you one for free within the 1-year Parts Warranty period. If it fails past the warranty, it's around twenty dollars to replace. Along with the instruction manual, which is clear and well written I might add, is a Service Depot Directory. I found 2 depots in my town where I can get qualified repairs made to this sort of dishwasher. Thousands of other places from all over are listed as well.

The dishwasher stands 17 inches high and fits under most cupboards. It has nice little rubber feet that won't scratch the countertop and the rear base is indented, to allow the hoses to run behind with the unit pushed flush against the wall. My counters aren't deep enough for this machine (early 1900's kitchen), and the counter at the time was covered in dishes anyhow, so I decided to put the unit on a rolling cart. The cart has a much smaller footprint than a full size portable. That and the low price, in case you're wondering why I didn't just go full size. I decided to get to work immediately. I loaded it up, snapped the quick-connect adapter onto the tap, cranked the hot water and set it on.

The controls are extremely simple, with a 3 cycle selector dial, on/off button and a Sani button. Turn the dial to the cycle you want to use and push "on". Push "Sani" on or off anytime you need that temperature boost. Anyone can figure it out.

Now, I read in some reviews that this thing was noisy. Not really. You hear a wooshing SOUND and a gentle whirr when it's running, but no real noise. Perhaps this model was improved in that sense. It sounded no noisier than my microwave, also a Danby. I also braced myself for some leakage, but it's nicely sealed with a soft rubber ring.

You can open the door to add dishes if needed. The machine stops automatically and not a drop of water will leak out.

I damaged my seal slightly within the first week by putting knife blades up in the cutlery basket. I still have no leakage, but be sure to watch sharp objects passing by the rubber seal. It is possible to get a replacement seal form Danby, and it is super easy to put on; the old one just pulls off and you push the new one into the groove.

At the end of the full 45-min cycle, I opened the door to find the dishes 100% clean and spotless! I was doubtful that it would get these particular dishes clean, for they had been sitting on the counter for two days waiting for me. 3 loads later and I had washed every item. Even all pots & pans, which were nasty, came out clean. I found that when washing cookware and stuck on dirt, you have to use the Sani-Wash function to get desirable results

not NO but HELL NO !