If I move to Ecuador will my abusive baby's father have rights to our child?

I am in desperate need of suggestions. I'm planning to see an attorney before leaving but thought I'd ask. I am almost 8 months pregnant. When I was 6 months pregnant the father of my child who I was dating at the time blacked my eye, busted my lip in 2 places and chocked me out. I have a protective order against him so he is not allowed to contact me. His mother is our in between contact but she is terrible to me. She blames me for aggravating him when I "know how he gets". Basically taking up for his disturbing and unforgivable actions. I'm 22 and going through a lot. He shows no remorse and I honestly fear for my safety as well as my child's. I have an aunt in Ecuador that has welcomed me to come and stay for a while. This is my first child and I don't have family near me here. I would really appreciate the support. I made the mistake of mentioning it to his mother. He is angry and sent threats( via his mother) to take me to court and take my child if I try to leave. Can he do this? I plan to have the baby in Ecuador so will that mean he will have to leave us alone? I'm not trying to be the bad guy and take my child away from his father out of meanness but honestly the man is dangerous. What should I do?

• Jan

No chance of you getting on a plane this late in your pregnancy.

He has rights to HIS child, that includes having the child in the US where he can easily have visitation. He can fight you about taking his child out of the country once it is born. Both parents are required to sign for a passport for a minor child.

• Jay

One thing to make sure you lawyer can answer is whether or not leaving the country falls under kidnapping. Many parents flee the country to get away from an abusive parent-of-their-child, only to be then find themselves charged with kidnapping.

You'll want to make sure your lawyer deals with this BEFORE you go.

• Maxi

You will not be flying anywhere if you are 8 months preganant as no airline will allow you to fly............. keep away from his mother and she will not say/do anything nor will you 'accidentl on purpose' tell her anything to inflame an already expolsive relationship...............