how do i over ride a dell vostro1000 password?

I havent used this dell in over a year,forget my password and it will not let me in.

Favorite Answer

Hi Joseph,

I am Shaina from the Dell Social Media Outreach team.

You can try these steps (to reset the password through windows DVD )

- Boot through Windows DVD and select the “Repair your computer”

- Follow through until you get to the option to open the Command Prompt

- First you’ll want to type in the following command to back up the original sticky keys file

copy c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe c:\

- Then you’ll copy the command prompt executable (cmd.exe) over top of the sticky keys executable

- copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\sethc.exe

- Now you can reboot the PC.

- Once you get to the login screen, hit the Shift key 5 times, and you’ll see an administrator mode - - command prompt. Now to reset the password—just type the following command, replacing the username and - password with the combination you want:

- net user geek (Existing User Name ) MyNewPassword (Type any Password)

- That’s all there is to it. Now you can login.

In case if this does not resolve your issue then you might have to reinstall the operating system.

In case of any further assistance Please feel free to contact me directly by sending a reply to this blog.

We would recommend you do not post your private information on a public forum.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Shaina_M

Dell Social Media Responder.

Being that you didn't specify what password I'll give two answers and hope that one of them helps.

If the password you are speaking of is to log into the windows account there are two options I would suggest.

1) If you have an Admin account without a password you can log into that account go to the control panel-> users accounts-> manage another account-> select the account with the password and click remove password.

2) Download an offline password reset tool..I personally use Offline NT Password and Registry editor. Please be very careful when using this as it does edit very important files and can cause more problems then you originally had. This is a DOS based application (There is no pretty GUI) so do your research. Read the site instructions or youtube.

If you are speaking of a BIOS password which can potential lock you out from using the computer at all depending on how it is set up, you need to get your hands on the CMOS battery, remove it for about 30 seconds and put it back in. this should reset the password.

Source(s): 13 Years Experience in Computer Repairs.