Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What do you think about Muslim men take part prayers on public side walk outside a mosque in Brooklyn, NY?

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/20...

Article shows picture.

Is it a fair question to ask why are they allowed to block public side walks? They have a mosque in which to pray.

Manhattan block that grinds to a halt at prayer time... as Muslim taxi drivers illegally park outside Islamic center

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2068796/Th...

Excerpts from article:

This picture was actually taken outside a Mosque during a prayer service - with 200 Muslim cabbies illegally parked & blocking public streets.

Residents of the wealthy Upper West Side of Manhattan are outraged that their streets are being taken over multiple times each day for the 45-minute service.

The taxi drivers are double and triple parking in a huge line that forces traffic into the oncoming lane.

The situation has flared up and on one occasion a cop telling a taxi driver to move on was swarmed by other hacks - and had to call for reinforcements.

Prayers take place five times a day but the busiest is on Fridays at lunchtime when up to 300 worshippers - and 200 taxi drivers - are in attendance.

Most of the taxi drivers appear unrepentant with one claiming: 'I have to pray. I have no choice but to break the rules.'

Cabbie Abdoulaye Diallo, a 30-year-old immigrant from Guinea, told DNA info that he had got several $75 fines for parking illegally outside the mosque but he did not care.

Residents however are increasingly anxious that they cannot cross the road safely.

'It's an accident waiting to happen, said James Beale, the resident manager at a Trump tower block that is next to the mosque.

'It's a very dangerous situation. It's like all the rules of the road are thrown aside,' he told DNA info.

Abdur Rahman, an assistant imam at the mosque, said it had told worshippers to respect the parking rules but they had failed to do so.

But he also claimed that the parking rules should be more flexible to accommodate worshippers' needs.

My question & comment:

Question, do you know of any religion or other group that is allowed to break the law especially in such a intrusive manner?

I know there are christians teachers in public shcools that try to prostilize the students but the schoold is warned not to do this because public funded schools by law are not allowed to do that. If they refuse to abide by the law they are than sued by organizations as "Freedom of Religion & the ACLU but there do not seem to be any one from places in the United States where by any citizen complains to sue for islamic infractions of the laws.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Favorite Answer

They have been doing this for years in France. Their excuse there is the mosque is too small.

What it is is a form of "peaceful" protest kind of like a sit in at a university. They are showing their numbers, their strength and daring anyone to do anything about it.

I think letting the air out of their car tires as they pray would be a fair response. Or recording the cab numbers and boycotting those particular cabs, regardless of who is driving them.

Ditto on what LJ said, down to me also being a New York Jew. I just wanted to second her comment as it is spot on and very much in the minority of what you've seen in your answers so far.

Large groups of cabs are so common in New York we have a name for them: "yellow jams". They are common after movies, plays, during rush hour, and yes, after religious services of all faiths, Jewish, Christian, Muslim, among others.

As for enforcement against the activity, I will point out that one person in your article, taking the article at face value, said he had received 3 fines. So they are being dealt with appropriately. If the city feels it is a problem beyond what the current laws can handle, we can change the laws, but that's up to us as a city, not you.

EDIT: @USAF: It would be hilarious to see people try to boycott cabs by specific medallion number. You've never hailed a cab in New York City before, have you? No cab is going to wait by the curb while you check an app to make sure they aren't on a list of banned cabs. They'll go pick up someone else who isn't an idiot instead (based on the rest of your answer, you don't seem like an idiot, just someone with no experience of NYC, but anyone who actually tried this in NYC, well, they would be idiots). And if you were going to boycott every cab that double parked, well, that's usually what they do in order to pick you up in the first place. Put up your hand on 3rd avenue and watch them cut across 3 lanes to double park right there in front of you.

• LJ

Unlike you, I actually live in NYC.

Lots of people double park after church services in many parts of town.

In fact, people double park here and obstruct traffic for all kinds of reasons. There's only so much space!

I also wish to point out that this is so much a NON-issue that I have never heard about it before reading this rant disguised as a question. I read the newspaper daily and listen to a local news program on the radio and frequently watch NY1, the local all news channel on tv, and no one has ever mentioned this. In other words, it's a non-story!

And, btw, this has absolutely nothing to do with prayer in schools. Why you brought that up is beyond me!

For what it's worth, I'm not a Muslim. I'm Jewish.

• Cody

I'd rather have a bunch of Muslims in prayer on a public sidewalk instead of what we have here in my town, that being "homeless" teenagers camping, peeing, defecating, and fornicating on public sidewalks at all hours of the day and night.

• Par 4

Do whatever, I don't care as long as it doesn't effect me personally.

If we're on a busy street and they won't move, I'll just walk through them, I'm not about to get hit by a car just to appease them.

There are more important things to worry about my man.