Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

What do you think about Muslim men take part prayers on public side walk outside a mosque in Brooklyn, NY?

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/20...

Article shows picture.

Is it a fair question to ask why are they allowed to block public side walks? They have a mosque in which to pray.

Manhattan block that grinds to a halt at prayer time... as Muslim taxi drivers illegally park outside Islamic center

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2068796/Th...

Excerpts from article:

This picture was actually taken outside a Mosque during a prayer service - with 200 Muslim cabbies illegally parked & blocking public streets.

Residents of the wealthy Upper West Side of Manhattan are outraged that their streets are being taken over multiple times each day for the 45-minute service.

The taxi drivers are double and triple parking in a huge line that forces traffic into the oncoming lane.

The situation has flared up and on one occasion a cop telling a taxi driver to move on was swarmed by other hacks - and had to call for reinforcements.

Prayers take place five times a day but the busiest is on Fridays at lunchtime when up to 300 worshippers - and 200 taxi drivers - are in attendance.

Most of the taxi drivers appear unrepentant with one claiming: 'I have to pray. I have no choice but to break the rules.'

Cabbie Abdoulaye Diallo, a 30-year-old immigrant from Guinea, told DNA info that he had got several $75 fines for parking illegally outside the mosque but he did not care.

Residents however are increasingly anxious that they cannot cross the road safely.

'It's an accident waiting to happen, said James Beale, the resident manager at a Trump tower block that is next to the mosque.

'It's a very dangerous situation. It's like all the rules of the road are thrown aside,' he told DNA info.

Abdur Rahman, an assistant imam at the mosque, said it had told worshippers to respect the parking rules but they had failed to do so.

But he also claimed that the parking rules should be more flexible to accommodate worshippers' needs.

My question & comment:

Question, do you know of any religion or other group that is allowed to break the law especially in such a intrusive manner?

I know there are christians teachers in public shcools that try to prostilize the students but the schoold is warned not to do this because public funded schools by law are not allowed to do that. If they refuse to abide by the law they are than sued by organizations as "Freedom of Religion & the ACLU but there do not seem to be any one from places in the United States where by any citizen complains to sue for islamic infractions of the laws.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Favorite Answer

And they try to accuse the homeless of obstructing sidewalks! These guys are obstructing sidewalks. And who would want to look at all those butts? Don't they think it is immodest for us to see their backsides like that? lol. I don't know why this is allowed to go on. I guess because the politicians feel the need to kiss their butt or else get accused of being mean and racist.

I doubt the first picture is directly outside a mosque. That's not an article. It's just a picture with a label on an anti-Islamic website. Not exactly a credible source.

Because observant Muslims pray 5 times a day, they do not go to the mosque every time. They pray in their homes, in businesses or on the streets. If they are causing a disruption, that is a matter for the authorities. But 20 men congregating for five minutes in public is hardly taking the place over. I doubt you'd be complaining if it was 20 Christians pausing to pray.

"Do you know of any religion or other group that is allowed to break the law especially in such a intrusive manner?"

In the first case, they aren't breaking the law. In the second case, $75 tickets are apparently being regularly awarded to illegally parked cars. What more are you wanting? That's how illegally parked vehicles are dealt with. Yes, there should be a better solution, but no one is looking to the other way on the matter. Parking is ridiculous in NYC.

• LJ

Unlike you, I actually live in NYC.

Lots of people double park after church services in many parts of town.

In fact, people double park here and obstruct traffic for all kinds of reasons. There's only so much space!

I also wish to point out that this is so much a NON-issue that I have never heard about it before reading this rant disguised as a question. I read the newspaper daily and listen to a local news program on the radio and frequently watch NY1, the local all news channel on tv, and no one has ever mentioned this. In other words, it's a non-story!

And, btw, this has absolutely nothing to do with prayer in schools. Why you brought that up is beyond me!

For what it's worth, I'm not a Muslim. I'm Jewish.

• ?

When I was a Muslim I use to park in resident permit and guest pass parking only because the masjid parking lot would get full. There was a few times I parked in apartment and condo parking lots and parking lots of businesses. Then I would walk to the masjid for jummah salah.

We didn't care unless we got a ticket. "It is kafir laws, so I can ignore them and it's kafir property I can take all the spots I want"

As for taking up public spots to pray, the only time I witnessed it myself was when we basically took over a park, stopping people from playing basketball, kids playing on the swing and slides because they were taking "our prayer spaces" and that was about 45 minutes.

I know in Europe it happens when they pray right on public streets and sidewalks stopping traffic and getting in the way of customers trying to shop at businesses on the sidewalks and actually trapping them inside the businesses for the entire jummah time. because they can't walk past them.

Source(s): Convert to Catholicism, former Muslim

unless it's a GroundZero Mosque, i doan wanna here about it

They are all lined up looks orderly.