NORWEGIAN: Adjectives in comparative, superlative form?

How to create comparative or superlative forms of Norwegian adjectives?

I have read that comparative adjectives have -ere endings, while superlative has -est. However, Norwegians always correct me when I say:

Det høyest fjellet i Norge heter Galdhøpiggen (they say: Det høyeste fjellet i Norge heter Galdhøpiggen)

I thought that fjellet is singular, so I used høyest. When to use høyest and when to use høyeste?

Favorite Answer

You have the basic formation of the comparative and superlatives correct, but...

Before definite nouns after den, det, de (and denne, dette, disse, de, or after a possessive) you have to add the ending -e to the adjective. This also applies to adjectives in the comparative and superlative

et høyt fjell, det høyeste fjellet

Note that not all adjectives can form comparative/superlatives in this way. As in English, some adjectives simply add mer (more) or mest (most), and certain other adjectives have specific words (bedre, best; verre, verst; flere, flest).