Help me understand more about Roman Catholic beliefs?

My protestant friend keeps insisting if I am a real Christian I will leave my church and that the Catholic church is cult. What annoys me, I do not hear Catholics say this that much about Protestants. For one thing, I learned in history that the Protestant Church broke away from the Catholic church, would it make more sense that they took away books from the bible, rather than Catholics adding it. I think she's being borderline rude assuming that, Catholics are condemned to hell and arrogant to also assume she knows more than anybody. I want to use logic to argue with her, so she can leave me alone.

Favorite Answer

1. Your protestant friends don't understand Catholicism AT ALL if they are saying you can't be a "real" Christian as a Catholic, or if they say Catholicism is a cult. Both statements are false.

2. Catholics accept Protestant Christians as our brothers and sisters in Christ. SOME Protestants accept Catholics as brothers and sisters in Christ, but apparently you've run into some people who have ignorant pastors who teach them otherwise.

3. You are correct that the protestant churches (plural!) broke away from Catholicism.

4. It is also true that the protestants downgraded some books of the Bible and eventually eliminated them in some versions. Here's the deal in a nutshell: Both Catholics and Protestants have the same New Testament (written by Catholic Christians, compiled by the Church). Catholics use the Jewish Septuagint for the Old Testament, which was the Jewish scriptures used at the time Christ was still walking the planet. About 70 A.D., the Jews got irritated with Christians for using their scripture to prove that Jesus is the Messiah, so they revamped their Scripture and came up with a new, shorter canon. THAT is the canon that Martin Luther and other protestants elected to use. So do you want the BIble with the OT that is the same canon Jesus used or do you want the one that has an OT that was canonized by Jews who hated Christianity?

5. I agree that your friend is being borderline rude in saying that Catholics are condemned to hell, and VERY arrogant. She's speaking for God here, taking His role of Judge. What I say is, "Let's leave the decision of who goes to hell up to God, shall we?" Usually takes the wind out of their sails. But remember, this girl was TAUGHT to act this way by her pastor and possibly her parents and other people she trusts. In a way, it's not her fault, because she doesn't know any better. You can gently and lovingly give her the truth and help her out.

• Thomas

Umm I don't know what a cult is. but I assume she means in the sense that the Catholics are basically wrong. I always thought cults were small crazy religions - the Catholics are too big for that.

catholic church is wrong on many areas, it's dangerous too. A note: check the second commandment. then remember this quote: I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me.

Try running the Catholic teaching on Mary through this. This is one of the most basic things to note.

• Dave D

Why is it important that you be right and she be wrong? Why can't you have your view and she have hers? One of the basic problems of our society is right there. What you are describing is a competition. The "I am better than you" attitude. Yet in fact we are not born competitive. Our basic nature is one of cooperation. But that spirit of cooperation has been basically drowned by competition. It is this feeling of being "better" than someone else which is the root cause of virtually every war, of poverty and prejudice. The message of Christ was to love your fellowman.... not prove you are more "right" than they are.

Live your life keeping cooperation rather than competition in mind and eventually you may help to reverse the trend.

don't lose your cool with them , keep them in your prayers and show by good deeds how you follow the lord.

maybe you can read this