Why not get an STP cable?

i asked a question on here about cat 6 cabling and people were telling me to stay away from getting any Shielded Twisted Pair cables. From what i can see, they would be better and faster because of the less amount of interference and that's shown on websites selling those cables like newegg and tigerdirect. So why would i want to stay away from these cables? just dont want to make a mistake in buying a cable i shouldnt

thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

STP cables blocks out electromagnetic interference, allowing it to carry data at a faster rate of speed

but

they need to be grounded and more fragile than UTP cables, as the shield must be kept intact in order for them to work properly.

The best use for STP cables are in industrial settings with high amounts of electromagnetic interference, such as a factory with large electronic equipment, where they can be properly installed and maintained

seems like a log of work and note, more expesive

• Jay
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

They are just hard to work with and most of the time un-necessary but work the same as regular cat 6

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

They are kind of stiff and hard to work with. I guess it depends on what you need it for.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.