Why should people have to act like a "real man" or "real women"?

I can't control the fact I came out a women. So why should I have to cross my legs, and keep my hair long, and wear skirts and lipstick and not like video games just to be a "real women"? Why should a guy have to be strong, and always be the dominate, and dress a certain way to be a "real man"? I find the idea of a "real ___" stupid. Are we all supposed to act a certain way because of things we can't control? Yes, I have been told that swearing and liking certain things is "unladylike". In all honesty, who gives a sh!t?

The question is why do I have to act like the damn first lady to be a "real women"?

@Yeah dude, I prefer a guy who actually shows emotions, but apparently thats "unmanly".

Best Answer

I couldn't agree more. Those are just standards society has showed us. We can like what we want, dress how we want, believe what we want, and do what we want because we want to. We don't have to please anyone but ourselves and the sooner we accept that, the sooner we take a step closer to universal happiness.

Since there is no single definition (at least none that I would accept) for what "real" means, i say that you do not have to conform to the opinions of others. No one does. Men and women are alike in many ways, and there are some differences. But I do not like to generalize in how people are or dictate the way that people should be. We should all respect the opinions of others, be nice and considerate, but each of us gets to make the call about what we do, who were are and how we care to live our lives.

So the answer is, NO you do not have to act in any way that another person suggests is "real." You sound like you have the appropriate amounts of intelligence and guts to happily do your own thing, and be the kind of person that works for you.

Alright, so, I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it's all about image. As sad as it is, society has placed a standard in which a certain sex must portray in order for them to advance through their daily lives, whether it be through dating or getting a job, etc, etc. So, it's mostly an idea that conforming into a society will mean more people will like you, and therefore, heightening your chance of success. And of course, people want to be successful, and that's where to conformity comes in. There's nothing wrong with wanting to conform, seeing that it could be proven beneficial to one in the long run. People are social creatures, so of course plenty of them will not want to step out of that boundary that has been expected of them because it may cause people to have a lesser opinion of them. But regardless, the idea is still unfair and restricting.

And I'm not saying I will conform to the criteria which has been placed before me. I'm just giving some of my thoughts on the matter... :/

Source(s): Just some thoughts.....
  • squidy

I always just thought either one of those meant "be strong" "be classy" "act like an adult" etc.

Nobody ever really tells me to dress girly or do girly things.. do people still expect that?

Love the buzz words. We've all been reduced to a 30 second advertisement.

• Maria

Manners should be universal, but otherwise, unless you're Amish or some extreme religion, do your thing. We do in New Orleans.

• Hannah

I'm not a "real" woman because I'm slim, tall, like video games, wrestling, not scared of anything and swear. But I dress girly though.

Source(s): Society.

You can do whatever you want.

Just don't expect people will necessarily like you.

They shouldn't have to, they shouldn't, but people say so for reasons.

Source(s): Damn, I've said some incomprehensible things before, but that made NO sense.

so is there a question here or just a rant?