Can you adopt kids from Sweden?

My wife and I have been married for about a year and a half now and we are looking to adopt internationally. We've talked about what country we'd like to adopt from and we decided on Sweden for our first choice (Finland for our 2nd choice & Norway for our 3rd choice). The problem is, we just don't know where to start, what agency to go to. Any help is much appreciated.

Favorite Answer

First of all, you have no right to pick children like dishes on a menu. "I'd like number 3 please!" It doesn't work like that. Children aren't accessories or commodities to be picked from a catalogue. You're not entitled to pick and choose as you please.

Second of all, what does it matter where the children come from? Why those specific nationalities? I happen to be Norwegian and I'm curious why you'd ask for Swedish, Finnish and Norwegian children specifically.

Third of all, we have a good system for adoptions and foster care in the Nordic countries. I doubt you'll find many children put up for adoption here, that are open to international adoptions.

Finally, if you really are most concerned with where the child comes from and you see a child like an accessory, you shouldn't be adopting or having children of your own at all!

• Sthlm

Adopting from Sweden? Not a chance.

Very few children in Sweden are adopted and in an overwhelming majority of cases the adoption is within the family, most commonly a stepparent adopting the biological child of a partner.

If parents are unable or unwilling to take care of a child social services would, if in the best interest of the child:

1. Support the parent(s) economically and/or socially to help them take care of the child.

2. Place the child in foster care, if suitable with a relative.

3. Only if there is no reason to believe that a parent will be able to care for the child, adoption would be considered.

No. Its pretty much consistent throughout most of western Europe. They will not allow foreigners to adopt and move the children out. If you are looking for a country from which to adopt a white child with blond hair and blue eyes you will find that there aren't really any.

I don't know why you'd adopt from there, is it because you want a swedish passport? There are other countries in need of adoptions (india, china, africa, east europe?) Sweden, Finland and Norway are pretty well off and can afford proper orphanages and schooling needs.

It might be difficult to adopt from Scandinavia, given that Scandinavian countries tend to have a high level of socialized family services and also tend to be very accepting of illegitimate births. Most Swedish moms keep their children (in the year 2000, for example, only 113 adoptions of Swedish-born children took place) so Swedes who want to adopt have to go overseas. Swedish children would normally only be adopted by foreigners if those foreigners were related to the child ( http://www.passportsusa.com/family/adoption/countr... ). You'll probably find that the situation is similar in Norway and Finland.

You can find additional country-specific information here: http://www.passportsusa.com/family/adoption/countr...

EDIT TO ADD: Finnish children cannot be adopted by foreigners, http://www.passportsusa.com/family/adoption/countr... .

You people are bigoted. My husband and I want to adopt from Finland and Norway, because I'm Finnish and he's Norwegian. It doesn't have anything to do with being blond and blue eyed. Let me ask you, if you have dark skin, do you want to adopt a baby with light skin? Maybe, maybe not, either way is okay, but most people want their children to look like them, get it?. I think you people are cruel, judgmental and ignorant, and you should take time to put yourself in other people's shoes before your make your stupid ignorant and uncaring statements.

I would hope not. Adopters are always about satisfying their own wants and needs at other people's expense. It's always about them! Selfish, self-centered, self-entitled! Disgusting.

It's not bad to want a baby from a certain country. If I was a Norwegian baby I would want Norwegian parents so they could teach me my culture.

Most of you motherfuckers are extremely ignorant and selfish. Why would you not want a child whose parents didn't want them and thats okay with you all but someone wanting give that child a home is automatically judged. Wtf is wrong with this world and your mind? Im just appalled like, what.

I want to adopt a baby from sub-Sahara Africa. Am I a racist?