Confederate flag offensive?

Me and my friend were at the State Fair (Wisconsin I may add) and some vendors were selling the confederate flag. I pointed it out and kind of made note about how stupid it was. Mainly because we were in the NORTH in the middle of a major city.

My friend defended it saying "you know the South stood for more than slavery"

Even though I said NOTHING about slavery that excuse bothers me. The CSA declaration was very clear in its favor of inequality for blacks. Sure several issues led to the Civil War but you can't ignore that one.

• Di
    Favorite Answer

There is no such thing as a "Confederate" Flag.

There is the Third National Flag, also known as the National Flag.

There is the Battle Flag, which many people incorrectly refer to as the Confederate Flag.

There is the Naval Ensign which looked like the Battle Flag but had a different shape.

What I find offensive is when people forget the North held slaves and had no conscience until Lincoln said they should.

I see some are prone to ignore facts. Not surprising really.

• ?

The Confederacy was indeed (by their own admission) founded upon support for slavery. But many people today see the Confederacy not in the light of slavery, but as rebels fighting for a cause they believed in--or just people trying to defend their home. Hence, I think the Confederate flag isn't necessarily offensive. People just have to be aware of the appropriate context.

On a different note, what most people think of as "the Confederate flag" has never been the Conferedacy's flag at any point in time. It's an ahistorical rectangular version of the Confederate battle flag: http://www.socastee.com/politics/history_confedera...

HERE Я THE FACTS IF U REALLY CARE TO LEARN~

<=>MYTH - The War of 1861 - 1865 was fought over slavery<=>

FACT - Terribly untrue. The North fought the war over money. Plain and simple. When the South started Secession, Lincoln was asked, "Why not let the South go in peace?" To which he replied, "I can't let them go. Who would pay for the government?" Sensing total financial ruin for the North, Lincoln waged war on the South. The South fought the War to repel Northern aggression and invasion.

MYTH - Only Southerners owned slaves.

FACT - Entirely untrue. Many Northern civilians owned slaves. Prior to, during and even after the War of Northern Aggression. Surprisingly, to many history impaired individuals, most Union Generals and staff had slaves to serve them! William T. Sherman had many slaves that served him until well after the war was over and did not free them until late in 1865. U.S. Grant also had several slaves, who were only freed after the 13th amendment in December of 1865. When asked why he didn't free his slaves earlier, Grant stated "Good help is so hard to come by these days."

Contrarily, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed his slaves (which he never purchased - they were inherited) in 1862!!! Lee freed his slaves several years before the war was over, and considerably earlier than his Northern counterparts. And during the fierce early days of the war when the South was obliterating the Yankee armies!

Lastly, and most importantly, why did NORTHERN States outlaw slavery only AFTER the war was over? The so-called "Emancipation Proclamation" of Lincoln only gave freedom to slaves in the SOUTH! NOT in the North! This pecksniffery even went so far as to find the state of Delaware rejecting the 13th Amendment in December of 1865 and did not ratify it (13th Amendment / free the slaves) until 1901!

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag was flown on slave ships.

FACT - NONE of the flags of the Confederacy or Southern Nation ever flew over a slave ship. Nor did the South own or operate any slave’s ships. The English, the Dutch and the Portuguese brought slaves to this country, not the Southern Nation.

BUT, even more monumental, it is also very important to know and understand that Federal, Yankee, Union ships brought slaves to America! These ships were from the New England states, and their hypocrisy is atrocious.

These Federals were ones that ended up crying the loudest about slavery. But without their ships, many of the slaves would have never arrived here. They made countless fortunes on the delivery of slaves as well as the products made from raw materials such as cotton and tobacco in the South.

This is the problem with Yankee history History is overwhelmingly portrayed incorrectly by most of the Federal & Yankee books and media.

MYTH - The Confederate Battle Flag represented the Southern Nation.

FACT - Not true. While the Southern Battle flag was carried into battle, the Southern Nation had 3 different National flags during the course of the war.

The First National flag was changed due to a resemblance of the US flag.

Source(s): (¯`·.·´¯) (¯`·.·´¯) *`·.¸(¯`·. ·´¯)¸.·´ ¤ º° ¤`·.¸.·´¤ *♥♥♥♥♥* http://www.rulen.com/myths/

Some people are offended by it. I learned about that the hard way. A few years ago I bought a confederate license plate for the front of my car, the stars and bars. I had no real knowledge of the history of the symbol. I just liked the design. One day at work (In New York) I heard that another guy was going around saying that I had a "KKK Symbol" on my car. I felt hurt and confused because I'm not a racist person. At first I didn't know what he was referring to but finally realized that it was the flag. Ironically the group of people I typically had lunch were mostly African American (I'm white). They knew me and that I'm not racist and they all consoled me when they saw how the incident upset me. My point is that I took the flag off because I didn't want to offend anyone, even inadvertently. The people who insist on putting up the flag no matter what others think, even if they are offended, should think twice about what they are doing. Their quality of life is not diminished in any way by them showing a little consideration for other people.

In 2013 I find the whole thing laughable.....nothing offensive about a flag that was a part of history. We are approaching 100 years (in 2015) since the war ended and the flag ceased to be relevant. LOL!

Well, the Tea Party Patriots have their flag, the first actual American banner, the Gadsen flat, yellow with the "Don't Tread on Me!" motif. Since the Tea Party is mostly Republican it makes sense that the DemoKKKrats in the Ku Klux Klan would want their flag too, it just happens to be the symbol of slavery, oppression and treachery, but that is what DemoKKKrats stand for. Hope this helps!

Source(s): Life with Libiots,

You'll find the most patriotic of people revere the confederate flag. It doesn't stand for slavery in their minds, it stands for freedom, much more so than the American flag does these days.

• Anything else you got except fixation yourself on something that easy for your piss poor arguments on what Americas have for their own intrinsic beliefs? How about shimming up to NY trying to vote and having the BLACK KKK that is trying to force everyone to vote for obama…OR but urself the rolling stone mag. for that coward who bombed little kids & ppl that is being treated like a rock star? Is that too hard for you weakazz piss poor argument you and some suppose friend had? This is too ignorant to even answer and you want to talk offensive crap to us about stupid crap that isn’t harming a dam soul but to educate others who think this stupidly it may be the best cause yet!

If anything is offensive it's the question coming from a supposed American. Lib are you? I see ur white faced false avatar is missing...it wasn't White at t'all huh? I knew it was fake them moment i seen it..hm mm...

Source(s): The dumb question we get...omg!

I don't know who y=u are but if your being ignorant b/c you simple cannot see that this Q is offensive to Americans then you need to educate yourself on what is offensive & what isn't. That flag represents freedom, and honer for those who fought & died for it! Slaves were treated better then most poor whites, they were even given whole plantations that they let go down south by not taking care of them & not paying taxes to fix their OWN DAM LEVEE!

Much btw however MANY WHITES RISK LIFE & LIMB DOWN SOUTH TOO TO HELP slaves to freedom w/no mentioning as much in history & no thanks from blacks at all! Woman esp. white woman to this day are being held as slaves by blacks too and we are the ones who set the path for FREEDOMS DORE ALL PPL & STILL WE GET NO THANKS & WE ARE THE ONES WHO STILL GET CRAP FROM EVERYONE W/NO MENTION OF WHAT WE DID TO HELP GET ALL PPL FREE! So, WHAT I FIND OFFENSIVE IS THE mosque BEING BUILT ON freedoms territory & terrorist not adhering to our law I.E

. DO U SEE WHERE I'M GOING W/THIS? BLESS THEIR FLAG/S IT MEANS OUR LIBERTY'S...& TO HELL W/ALKITA CRAZY LAWS/RELIGION THAT IS SETTING US BACK OVER A 150 YEARS OF PROGRESS & THEM OFFENDING & DISRESPECTING OUR LAWS & WHATNUT OK?

STOP BEING A IDIOT & BACK OUR AMERICAN beliefs up & stop worrying about these whiners who have MORE THEN THE REST OF US OK?

ADD-I am in the middle of both STATES N & S, LIKE all of my beliefs are on all sides of truth...but history isn't the purveyor of truth as man isn't the swayer of truth either! So the only think I can tell u that is the truth is that we Americans all went all the way for our liberty's, anything other that that IS offensive & that is what made our great nation that the lying left/libs want to teat down! You won;'t be able to post this nor anything if the libs/Dem's & tyrants have their way are u understanding this? The lies comes from the leftist media not real Americans who allowed you to offend us even!

I wonder what country u came from illegal? No one is this stupid about there culture...

Source(s): AMERICA FREEDOMS COMES 1ST PERIOD & &^%$ ANYONE WHO HAS A PROBLEM W/IT!
  • Par 4

Some people aren't Jewish, does that mean everyone is supposed to be offended by the Israeli flag for it's Star of David?