Washing meat from the package?

This may sound dumb but I bought some peppercorn steaks from a meat company and they r individualy sealed and I was wondering do I need to wash them off ? There is a little blood in the package but if I wash it before cooking it won't this take out the peppercorn flavor ? Advice please lol

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

no need to wash them

That is NOT blood in the package although it does look red.

It is a natural liquid called myoglobin.

No meat needs washing when its from the store.

In fact washing meat like chicken is a great way to spread bactera if there are any. Washing doesn't remove the bacteria anyway and just splashes it around so it can get on other surfaces.

• 8 years ago

As long as meat has been processed, packaged and refrigerated properly (not hung in an open market as in some countries, and things like that), you will NOT need to wash them off before cooking. Washing will remove any exterior seasonings, and often dilute some that's near the surface of the meat. And btw, all that "blood" is natural raw meat juice that's come out of the meat and would be delicious once cooked if you wanted to make a sauce or gravy, etc, after searing/cooking the meat.

Also btw, any bacteria that might be on the surface of a meat will be killed first since the heat of cooking begins and is most long-lasting and high on the surface.

The practice of washing meats before cooking has been continued by some cooks though because their older relatives used to buy meats that had been unrefrigerated, hung in open markets, etc, and may have a *lot* of bacteria on the surface. Those meats were usually just plain meats too, not pre-seasoned, marinated or with "dry rubs" on the surface.

Then their children continue the practice because that's what they've been taught by those older relatives or just seen them do and assumed they had to do too.

(Washing vegetables and fruits though ARE a good idea because those have often been exposed to pesticides that can be washed off--though some can't-- as well as handling by various people, and they usually won't be cooked to kill any bacteria.)

• Marduk
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The latest is NOT TO WASH. If you wash it you will have watered down meat. The heat should kill everything. They say now that if you wash you are spreading the contamination and cooking alone will suffice. Besides that is mostly for fowl anyway not beef or pork or lamb. Look, I've been eating god knows what for over 50 years, bugs, dirt whatever and I am doing just fine, don't worry so much about it. 50 years ago you wouldn't even have been able to eat anything with today's thinking. We just ate food whatever it was or came in.

• Dnf
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Hi,

Flavor will surely drain out. So, be careful. It is a common practice to wash stuff before cooking in order to keep it hygienic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

You can wash it if you want to.

• 8 years ago

you should wash them or you could get sick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.