GOBLIN asked in PetsRodents · 7 years ago

Are feeder rats bad pets?

I was just looking on craigslist at rats that are for sale, and I found an add selling 2 rats that are meant to me sold for a snake to eat. I want to buy them to keep as pets, I already have 2 rats I got from a pet store a while ago. But I would love 2 more and I would hate for those cute little guys to be fed to a snake. Would a feeder rat be unsocial and hard to train compared to a pet store rat? Or are they the same?

Favorite Answer

They are the exact same..

I have 3 rats, two of them are feeders.

Only problem is, you are risking exposing the rats you already have to mycoplasma....

if you get them, quarantine the rats for about a month so you can monitor their health before integrating them with the rest

All rats in a pet store are sold for feeders unless the pet shop breeds them themselves and socialize them, and only sells for pets. You can go ahead and get them, but it will take a lot of treats and trust training to get them to come around. Just like any rat it does take time maybe more time consuming, depending on if they were ever socialized.

When I rescued my two rats they were different temperaments my creme hooded rat Delrio only took a couple weeks before I could pick him up, pet,and hold him Daniel my hairless dumbo I am still working with him and its been about a month, Rats like any animal have their own personality, and it will take time how much time well it depends on the rats.

Source(s): I own and breed rats

It all depends on the age of the rats, If they are pinkies they will die quickly without a momma, if they are fuzzies they may live a few days.. If they are weened or older then yes most rats can be domesticated.

They are all normal rats unless stated to be hairless and in that case they should never be feeders. I think you should try and save the critters from a short life. I would.

I've gotten plenty of pet rats from filthy crammed feeder tanks at the pet store and none of them ever bit me. They all made great pets.

Most rats are originally bred and sold as 'feeder' rats, unfortunately. My female rats were feeder rats and they are so precious. I hope you get them, save them from that awful fate. If they aren't very social, with alittle patience and attention they will be awesome pets. I hope you get them.

They should be tamable. Most pet shop rats, even those intended for pets aren't usually socialized anyway.

Keep in mind they may perhaps be more unhealthy though.

I saved my pet rat Jinx, from being eaten and it was the best decision ever. I love him he travels everywhere with me like road trips and riding on my shoulder when I go walking:)

Get them

u should get those rats. i think that it will be ok.