Emotional Support Dog in Arkansas?

I am wanting to get my dog registered to be an ESD. However, I was wondering if anyone knew the what the law is in Arkansas when it comes to an Emotional Support Dog? Housing laws, etc. I can't seem to find anything online pertaining to Arkansas law. Thanks.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, it's an emotional support animal (ESA not ESD). ESA's can be ANY domestic animal within reason, unlike service dogs which can ONLY be dogs or, in special cases, mini horses.

ESA's are not covered or protected under ADA law. Not under state law either. HUD/FHA covers ESA's.

There is no registration required for ESA's. Companies online that sell registration, licenses, certifications and identification for ESA's and service dogs are all scams and worthless. They're for novelty purposes only and will not hold up in court. Landlords are on to the scam and rarely accept them - actually most consider the person a liar if they present one. If they do accept it, or they figure it our later they can evict you for lying.

ESA's are not service animals. They do not have the same legal protection as service animals. Legally, ESA's are considerednothing more than pets. ESA's are only afforded special accommodation in no-pets rental housing and flying in cabin on an airplane. They cannot "go everywhere" with you like service dogs can (no public access).

There are qualifications to have an ESA and steps you must follow.

Here are the steps to get an emotional support animal and it into rental housing:

1. You MUST be mentally disabled or have a mental condition severe enough to be considered disabling.

2. You MUST be under the ongoing care of a mental health professional. A regular doctor will not do.

3. Your treating mental health professional must recommend an emotional support animal as beneficial for your ongoing treatment plan.

4. Your treating mental health professional will write a letter stating you need an ESA for your mental disability, that it's necessary for your ongoing treatment and your disability as it appears in the DSM IV.

5. Turn this letter in, along with a letter requesting accommodation, to your landlord.

6. Wait to be approved before bringing the animal onto the property.

That's it. Any domestic animal within reason can be your ESA. No special training is needed. But you will be responsible for any damage caused by the animal and the animal cannot be a nuisance to other neighbors or maintenance. If it is, the accommodation approval can be revoked.

Not mentally disabled? Then you don't qualify.

Pay the pet deposit, wait for a pet apartment to become available or go to another apartment complex.

There are exceptions. A owner/landlord with 5 or less units is exempt from having to slow reasonable accommodation with ESA'S and the elderly can get a note from any Dr plus they don't have to be mentally disabled.

http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/press/pre...

Source(s): Service dog owner and my elderly father has an ESA.
  • 4 years ago

If you tired of listening to your guy friends complain about devoid of a partner day in and day trip then you definitely should was let them have that guide https://tr.im/lwUCD , the Tao of Badass book.

Tao of Badass is a book writhed by Joshua Pellicer, a life instructor on earth of romance. He drew his inspiration from a life of encountering continuous failures with women and having no strategy concerning how to correct it but, after these constant failure to entice women, he found, was not while he did not know these correct points to complete; the issue that he found was he had no thought what to not do.

With Tao of Badass you may learn from the most effective and his problems what the right way to seduce women is.

• 4 years ago

Playing it safe will never get you the girl. Women appreciate confidence, boldness, and persistence. Make the first move. Learn here https://tr.im/qR3m3

Some women may like you but still want you to work for it. And don’t whine you’re going home alone if you never tried to get her to come home with you. you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.

• 6 years ago

ESD dogs are covered under the ADA just like other assistance dogs, IIRC.

Source(s): Autistic fact retention abilities.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • LILL
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

It's not a state law, it's a federal law.

• 6 years ago

I don't have an answer but Wooo pig sooie!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.