Why is R&S troll land?

Can we change our reputation as a community or is it going to stay like this forever? If we just ask good questions, we may have a start. Just saying,...

• Paul B
    Favorite Answer

Back in the early years of R&S this place was, believe it or not, a vibrant and dynamic category. There were real questions from all sides of the religious/nonreligious spectrum. The trolling that occurred was intelligent and respectful. It was funny, insightful, thought provoking. There was very little of what passes for "trolling" today; those individuals were shut down by ridicule from the R&S community. In those days R&S really was a community.

Then we got hit by report monkeys. Over time many of the regulars gave up and went elsewhere, some decided that if they were going to be maliciously reported anyway they might as well have some fun with it. People stopped caring about this place and it turned into something far different than it used to be.

So to answer your question... R&S is troll land because report monkeys chased away the good people and changed the entire mindset of the place. The blame ultimately lies with Y!A's rules. They were never intended for a category like R&S, which has a resident population. Y!A never adapted, and as a result we've got the R&S we know today. It's ironic; Yamster goes on about "community" but when one evolved here they did nothing to preserve it.

An indication of maturity is the ability to imagine the discomfort of others. Some people are farther along in that than others. A lot, if not most, people know that religious faith can be something very personal to people, so that becomes a target for people like to troll.

I doubt it will change any time soon unless Y! starts moderating heavily to enforce community guidelines. Yahoo, by and large, relies on the community to moderate itself (e.g., through question ratings, reporting, etc.).

Through all of the trolling questions, there are still some people with sincere questions, and those are the people who I would like to be able to help if I can. Even if I realize that a question is a trolling question, I may add a perspective if I feel may be helpful for others who are seeking answers.

Peace be with you.

Oh, yeah. Your question right here is going to turn it all around. Asking "Why is R&S troll land?" is going to make everyone sit up and take notice of how serious R&S is.

Good work! You're a one-man revolution!

EDIT:

I agree with Paul B. Some people will disagree about the causes of the change in tone here in R&S, but I'm with him on this one.

Why not?

A place for a bit of harmless chaos is good for everyone.

PS: @Banana has a point, even if it's exaggerated a little --

The good, thought-out questions don't get many answers.

there are no trolls in r&s,

we're just a bunch of decent people trying to prove to others that our religion( or lack thereof) is better than theirs, and in a completely civil manner too.

This is the internet. Wherever anything people care deeply about is being discussed, there will be trolls.

Goodness, Brother Paul...brilliant analysis!

:o)

Good questions get zero answers.

That's never going to happen. lol