RN requirements for State of Texas?

Hey everyone. I'm in Texas and am planning on soon going to medical school to become a nurse. I want to begin my career with general inpatient care (Med-Surg?) and go into a pediatric or even an orthopedic inpatient subspecialty later on. My question is what certifications/licenses will I need pertaining to the state of Texas that will allow me to begin working on a floor with a patient caseload?

Thanks,

Jacob

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't go to medical school to become a nurse, you go to college and enroll in a nursing program.

Medical school is for those preparing to be doctors.

All you need is an RN license to work as an RN. That requires earning a degree in nursing. In the US, the minimum degree allowed for licensure as an RN is an Associates Degree from an accredited nursing program at a community college or other college / university. Accredited means that professional nursing education organizations have approved the school's curriculum and that it meets the standards of professional nursing education. Usually if the program is listed on your state board of nursing's website, that means it's usually accredited. Once you graduate, you are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN exam which is the test that earns you your RN license / title. Once you hold that you can get a job working in just about any job with RN in the title, as long as they don't specify that other additional certifications are necessary. You don't need extra certs to work in med/surg, or ortho, or peds. But you can earn certs later on once you have gained expertise in those specialties. Certs are for people who have already worked in that area and have experience.

If you are required to have certain certifications to work in certain areas - like if you worked in an ICU they would require you hold ACLS (advanced cardiac life support, like advanced CPR), they will tell you clearly, and many facilities will even pay for the training to get this as part of your orientation process. They would be clear with you if you're expected to do it on your own, and when you would be required to have it (before hire or within 6-12 months of hire, for example).

If you know you want to work in a hospital, you're better off earning the full BSN degree, which is a four year program. It's well known that most larger, metropolitan hospitals definitely prefer to hire BSN grads, and right now in this poor economy when jobs are tight, you need every advantage you can get. You can always start off with an ADN and then find an RN to BSN completion program (these programs last about 18-24 months once you already hold an RN/ADN degree).

Source(s): RN, BSN
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Requirements For Texas License

Graduation from an approved school of professional nursing (general).

A satisfactory score in one of the following examination:

State Board Test Pool Examination (SBTPE)- with a minimum score of 350.

National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN®)

• Rob
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

basic RN degree is 4 yrs.

smart folks do the 1st 2yrs in community colleges

saving them self 10,000s$ in worthless fees.

u then transfer to a state recognized program for

degree. leading to sitting for the boards and your

license.

visit www.bne.state.tx.us for info.

as for specialties expect a few more years training

while working.

do use library to figure out how to pay for it

with out decades of debt.

Source(s): employer
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.