Country equivalents in the United States?

For example, I consider New York City to be the China of the US with their crowded populations. The St Louis metropolitan area reminds me of Wales while the whole state of Iowa reminds me of Germany in some form or another, mostly the Des Moines area.

What areas in the United States (states/regions/cities) do you consider to have the most influence parallel to certain foreign countries (you can list more than one influence if you wish)? Trying to get others opinions on this, it's boggled my mind for a while.

Favorite Answer

Look at the history of the locations in the United States. Where the people came from and what kind of occupations they had and have. I've seen New York City compared to Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

As a resident of the greater Los Angeles area which was originally settled by Spain and then Mexico when they became independent from Spain, I would say the climate and people have a strong base in places like Mexico. Then especially after World War II, people came from the rest of the U.S to LA. the Mexican/Spanish influence can still be seen especially in the food and the place names.

There is a great book that my husband found for me. It is by Colin Woodward. The title is "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America." It has good maps and good explanations of the history and development of the regions. It brings this information into modern politics too. I've loved reading and rereading it.

• Wally

Interesting thought. I suppose ONE thing would be that So Cal would be the Italy - free and easy.

Hmmmm.... Germany.... probably somewhere in New England - tightly wrapped up.