Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 7 years ago

Is Portugese a good language to learn?

I'm already learning French and Spanish at the moment. I want to study a fourth language. I was thinking perhaps German, but then I thought Portugese might be better as most of the German population speak fluent English. It would be cool to be fluent in 3 Romance languages. I live in the US. Thoughts?

• ꇂꉧ
    Favorite Answer

Yes, it is.

because there is Brazil with super economic power.

and a few countries in Africa and one in Asia (East Timor) speak Portuguese.

Hi there,

It really does depend on how you plan to use the language. If you know a lot of people who speak either German or Portuguese, then go with that - you will have more opportunities to practice.

Personally, I speak French, Spanish, and German (plus some basic Portuguese), so I am in a position to comment on the nature of these languages. Portuguese is remarkably similar to Spanish. Many words are spelled exactly the same. This might make the language easier to pick up than German, but it may also confuse you. That will vary from person to person in my experience.

German would probably be the harder language to learn though, because its vocabulary will appear much more alien to you. It also has grammatical cases, which take some getting used to. Romance Languages, with the exception of Latin, do not have these. With practice, you can master German, but dedication will be especially important.

In the end, go with whichever will interest you more, because motivation is the key to achieving fluency in a new language. Good Luck :)

Source(s): Polyglot; German Speaker; Spanish Speaker; French Speaker; Portuguese Learner

A BIG tip, you're probably gonna want to specialize in a single language (not stop all the others but at least master 1). But who am I to judge!!

TRY CHINESE!! It's a language that almost no American speaks and is gonna come in handy now the the Chinese economy is making such good headway (don't mean to get all political lol).

Portuguese is no good cause so little countries speak it.

Of course it is, way better than german. Portuguese is the 6th most spoken language in the world and it's spoken in 4 continents, in countries like Portugal, Brazil, Angola, Mozambique, Guinea, Cape Verde, S.Tome Principe and in parts of India (Goa, Damao, Dio), China (Macao), Indonesia (Timor) etc etc. It's getting really popular this days

• PB

It really depends on what you want to use it for, but I think it would be a good choice! It would also be the easiest to add on, considering what you already know and are learning.

@Andrew. Romanian still has the remains of cases.

"Romanian has preserved a part of the Latin declension, but whereas Latin had six cases, from a morphological viewpoint Romanian has only three: the nominative-accusative, the genitive-dative, and marginally the vocative." Wikipedia.