4.9mm is what to an inch?

I have 1 lump 4.9 mm and another 4.5 mm in my thyroid gland

Favorite Answer

Same as me (not quite the same sizes, but the same idea).

Multi-nodal hyperthyroidism (having MANY lumps on the thyroid) is normally non-cancerous (it results from a malfunctioning of the gland and is corrected with pills).

A single node (one lump only) is normally cancerous. The thyroid must be removed (but that's OK, you can continue living with artificial thyroxine, often given by pills).

The problem is when you have two. Is it "multi"? or is it two cases of malign nodes?

They can't tell without a biopsy.

The size has nothing to do with it. In my case, it turned out to be non-cancerous.

In your question, the two sizes you give are each less than 1/4 of an inch.

Still, experts are able to sense them with their fingers. When I went for my follow-up exams, I would allow the endocrinologist to let his assistants "strangle" me so that they could learn to sense the lumps with their fingers.

That was over 15 years ago and, because of the levothyroxine pills, I have had no new lumps.

My sister-in-law had the cancerous type (over thirty years ago). She is still living an active life and shows no sign of slowing down (she is, in fact, healtier than I am).

Relax, Sharon. Thyroid cancer is one of the easiest to cure. I had mine out last year, and the hardest part was trying to find iodine-free foods during the period I had to "starve" my body of iodine. This is so that any remaining thyroid cells in my body would eagerly take up the radioactive iodine I was given after the special diet, and not only be killed by it, but show up brightly on the scan taken afterwards. None did, so I am now free of cancer, as you soon will be also.

Start looking for those iodine-free foods now, though - they really are hard to find. Hope you're not a big fan of seafood.

4.9mm = 0.192913385 inch (about a fifth of an inch)

4.5mm = 0.177165354 inch (about a sixth of an inch)

I hope you ' ve got a biopsy made.

As you could very easily have found out for yourself, there are 25.4mm to the inch.