Is the shark migration to Florida related to the slave trade routes?

Well I live in South Florida and thousands of sharks migrate here around this time. I keep hearing rumors that these migrations are related to slave trade routes where the sharks would follow the ships coming here feeding off the bodies that were thrown overboard. Are these just rumors or does it have some truth behind it? I personally dont believe it because you can go swimming with these sharks and they are not aggressive towards humans.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Joseph
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No relationship between shark migrations and slave trade routes.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

if that were the case, you would expect the migrations to have ended with the slave trades. However, humans are not a typical food source for any kind of shark. Only about 10 people a year are killed by sharks and its usually a case of misidentification. People on surfboards or flotation devices, for example, can look an awful lot like seals and sea lions, which is a food source to some sharks.

They may be searching for food, or following fishermen, but not following 200 year old trade routes.

• Bob
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Of course not. This is wrong on so many levels: sharks don't target humans, the slave trade was over 150 years ago, the number of slaves thrown overboard wouldn't have fed 0.001% of the sharks in the ocean, if the story were true, it would not be seasonal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.