L J Hunter asked in HealthOptical · 7 years ago

What do they not tell you about immunosuppressant drugs?

Quite a wide question I guess...

I have an autoimmune disease. Doctors have not located its exact type but a rheumatologist has suggested immunosuppressants.

A little about my condition... I have long term uveitis, with barely any symptoms, I get overwhelming exhaustion like chronic fatigue, when stressed and under pressure or working hard. ( i call this crashing, I can sometimes tell when ive overworked enough to crash, or if i am too stressed) I get every flu and cold too. After the tiredness, my eyes usually "flare up" as in the doctors find a lot of cells inflaming my eyes. but there is no pain or redness, so I cant tell its there. I have had it since 5 years old, am 24 now. Pred drops are taken all the time for it, I manage to wean down to pred mild and it will come back before I can go drop free. a little timolol for any high pressure.

Here are my many questions... if you can answer any of them I will be greatful. im sorry its long. please only serious answers. i dont know where else to look and its all very overwhelming.

some of my questions are relevant for if i do go on the immunosuppressants, and if i do not take them and continue to just fight the uveitis when it occurs.

-Will the immunosuppressants help my tiredness? Or will they only help my eyes settle down. -How much more vulnerable to infection will I be? I already catch everything.

- I am concerned that I wont be able to own dogs for them bringing stuff into the house that will infect me thanks to my lowered immunity. I think owning a dog would reduce stress and anxiety, bring safety, love and relaxation to me, as well as exercise and stable lifestyle and be more beneficial than not owning one.

- Anybody know about money benefit help for the times uveitis occurs, considering that working in sun or under fluro lights hurt dilated eyes. not to mention i must look high to most people, and even stranger if only one eye is dilated... Will I get govt support sick leave on top of the usual 8 days? Im an artist, I can paint when blurry so that helps me keep productive. But my bill paying job is tough when ive got a flare up requiring dilation. Not to mention obviously it hurts when its sunny. sunglasses wont be enough.

- whats a good job to do that works with the eye issues so they dont affect your income?

-in general are there some good websites for these topics? im not sure where to start.

- wondering about antidepressants or something similar to help with when stuff gets tiring and too hard to deal with. maybe they would soften the impact of the times where i "crash".

- yoga, pilates and light exercise... will helping my general wellbeing assist the immune system to settle down? i intend to go on the low fodmap diet again to help my gut settle increasing the immune system that way.

- does general spirituality, inner peace and such help? has anyone found less flare ups and inflammation when they are happy and calm? (im not talking about religion spirituality, just the self peace, calmness, positive energy and power of attraction.)

thanks for your time. :)

• Bob B
    Favorite Answer

Immunosupressants are quite often used for autoimmune conditions. Some are not recommended to be used for long periods, but some form of treatment is often given long term.

Most of these questions should be directed at your doctor; there is nothing that they won't tell you, although we can't answer patients' questions if they don't ask them. The extent to which the medication affects your immune system depends on what medication you have, how long for, and other factors.

Some general advice:

* They may help with the tiredness somewhat; depending on the medication and how it is delivered.

* I'm not sure if pets would be a concern or not; you'd need to get the doctor's opinion on that.

* Antidepressants are beneficial for some people, but not others. There is some concern these days about unnecessarily using them (they have their own side-effects) rather than helping whatever is causing the depression. If the depression has a biological cause, they might be useful, but in other people they might not be that much help.

* General wellbeing is always a good thing, immune system or otherwise. There is some suggestion that stress might negatively affect the immune system. In either case, being happy and calm would still generally be beneficial and may help you handle the disease better. It's probably debateable as to whether or not it does anything biologically against the disease, but regardless of that, patients who are in a good state of mind often do better.

* For reducing your risk of infection and other conditions, seek medical advice.