SSD vs HDD, which one is best?

I want to know which one is best among HDD & SSD

Favorite Answer

You get far "bigger" HDDs of the same size and price than SSDs. If youre looking for cheap reliable data storage, pick a regular HDD.

SSDs do not perform a physical seek to access data; therefore they are faster if you access many small files, but not that much faster on single huge files.

SSD cells have a limited "life" and can anly be rewritten so often. Not a huge problem, but you cant use SSDs for paging if your computer is paging 24/7 - they would wear out quite fast.

Finally, HDDs consume energy to keep spinning and SSDs do not. On a notebook, you can get more battery life from SSDs. It may not be much but it can add up.

Generally, the SSD is usually superior but so expensive that you want a mix of SSD and HDD storage on anything that isnt a notebook.

SSD's are a very little bit faster.New HDD's are much quicker than old ones.

If an SSD gets half full the speed drops dramatically and they can become almost unusable. SSD's also have a write life,so will stop eventually. HDD's don't do any of this.

SSD's are light and quite tough where as HDD's will break if you knock your computer too hard.

So which is best ??? If you're careful and not going to drop your computer then HDD.

• Arie

SSD's are much faster than HDD, so in short, a SSD is better. HDD's however still offer more storage space, the price per GB is lower for a HDD compared to a SSD and HDD's do not wear as fast as SSD's.

Use your contemporary HDD to save own archives/information and purchase the SSD to position in the operating device and classes. That way you receives the speed earnings granted by utilising the SSD with out having to splash out for a wide potential or with out having to worry about the SSD memory failing.

SSD:

Speed - much faster

Reliability - lack of moving parts

Energy efficiency

HDD:

Lower cost per amount of storage

SSD's lower storage options disadvantage is lessened with the use of cloud storage.

SSDs are preferred for laptops and portables. A smart-mix is preferred for desktops.

HDDs are for those looking for cheap solutions.

True, SSDs are super faster than tradional HDD. I am using Intel 520 SSD which is sandforce based as my boot volume & it boots up my windows 7 in just 8 secs which is amazing ;). I feel as if I am working on a super computer after I have got SSD attached to my system. sandforce based are the best ones available now!

• Danny

Neither are best. The SSDs are far faster. They tend to be about 3 times faster, but they can also do a special ram storage feature that makes it even faster than that. If you put window on a good ssd, it will boot in 10-15 seconds as opposed to 30-50 seconds. That't the advantage of ssd's. The advantage of hard drives is price per gigabyte. 1.09gigs per dollar on this ssd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

where as this 2tb ssd is $100. If you do that math on that it 20.48 gigs per dollar.

The Intel 520 series SSD is my only known reliable. They have the most mature firmware and controllers. As far as a mechanical drive, the Western Digital Cavair Blacks offer the best warranty, reliability and performance. If you are asking to choose between the two, I still prefer the mechanical drives as the SSD's have not been on the market as long from a reliability standpoint. There are many SSD failures out there so they are not as reliable. The Intel 520 is the only SSD I recommend.

SDDs are quite a bit faster but they are more expensive. I would go with an HDD because you can get 3TB for $100-$150. The cheapest 1TB SSD is $650.

I would say SSD is better than HDD. Solid State Drives are more reliable than their mechanical predecessors, operate much cooler, are more rugged, they last longer and most importantly, operate at speeds approaching 100X faster than the physical Hard Drive.