NAVY military question?

So i really want to join the navy. but im currently in school. I hear that military pays for your school after you done your service..but what if its the other way around...like i go to school first, and then join. will they still pay off my debt?

So only certain fields of study can qualify for them to pay my loans? I'm confused. Because i'm currently in school for network security. and my loans are going to be around 25,000 to 30,000. Will they cover that for me?

Best Answer

The About.com site is misleading (as usual).

For the Navy, the Loan Repayment Program is very limited -- currently, only a small handful of ratings qualify; along with the Musician, Hospital Corpsman (HM-SG) and Cryptologic Technician – Interpretive (CTI-Advanced Technical Field (ATF)) ratings, the list of ratings that now qualify include the Cryptologic Technicians (Maintenance), Cryptologic Technicians (Networks), Information System Technician, and the Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) ratings.

The list changes frequently as it is an enlistment incentive to fill ratings that otherwise are difficult to fill. If you accept LRP, you lose the GI Bill. The law currently does not allow LRP participants to use GI-Bill benefits unless you enlist for a second term (and have served a minimum of 24 months of that second term).

Adding: they will cover it ONLY if you enlist into a rating (job) that has LRP as an incentive -- the list will most certainly change from the current ratings by the time you decide to join -- the linked to page will be updated (a link added to the newest guidance) when the ratings change that are eligible.

The Loan Repayment Program is a special enlistment incentive offered to qualified applicants at the time of enlistment. It's variable: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/clrp.ht...