Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Why don't Christians have a name for their god?

Or if they do, why don't they use it?

Update:

Juniel, which branch of Christianty are you from?

Update 2:

I am familiar with Yahweh and Jehovah, but I think it's weird that most people just say god, well depending on what branch of Christianity the people are from. Didn't mean to offend, you're religion is based on love, it's just so generic to call something god. Don't you think you would feel closer if you called him by a name all the time?

Update 3:

Jesus was your god's son, I am asking about your god.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He does, ach of the many names of God describes a different aspect of His many-faceted character. Here are some of the better-known names of God in the Bible:

EL, ELOAH: God "mighty, strong, prominent" (Genesis 7:1; Isaiah 9:6) – etymologically, El appears to mean “power,” as in “I have the power to harm you” (Genesis 31:29). El is associated with other qualities, such as integrity (Numbers 23:19), jealousy (Deuteronomy 5:9), and compassion (Nehemiah 9:31), but the root idea of might remains.

ELOHIM: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong” (Genesis 17:7; Jeremiah 31:33) – the plural form of Eloah, which accommodates the doctrine of the Trinity. From the Bible’s first sentence, the superlative nature of God’s power is evident as God (Elohim) speaks the world into existence (Genesis 1:1).

EL SHADDAI: “God Almighty,” “The Mighty One of Jacob” (Genesis 49:24; Psalm 132:2,5) – speaks to God’s ultimate power over all.

ADONAI: “Lord” (Genesis 15:2; Judges 6:15) – used in place of YHWH, which was thought by the Jews to be too sacred to be uttered by sinful men. In the Old Testament, YHWH is more often used in God’s dealings with His people, while Adonai is used more when He deals with the Gentiles.

YHWH / YAHWEH / JEHOVAH: “LORD” (Deuteronomy 6:4; Daniel 9:14) – strictly speaking, the only proper name for God. Translated in English Bibles “LORD” (all capitals) to distinguish it from Adonai, “Lord.” The revelation of the name is first given to Moses “I Am who I Am” (Exodus 3:14). This name specifies an immediacy, a presence. Yahweh is present, accessible, near to those who call on Him for deliverance (Psalm 107:13), forgiveness (Psalm 25:11) and guidance (Psalm 31:3).

YAHWEH-JIREH: "The Lord Will Provide" (Genesis 22:14) – the name memorialized by Abraham when God provided the ram to be sacrificed in place of Isaac.

YAHWEH-RAPHA: "The Lord Who Heals" (Exodus 15:26) – “I am Jehovah who heals you” both in body and soul. In body, by preserving from and curing diseases, and in soul, by pardoning iniquities.

YAHWEH-NISSI: "The Lord Our Banner" (Exodus 17:15), where banner is understood to be a rallying place. This name commemorates the desert victory over the Amalekites in Exodus 17.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/names-of-God.html#ixzz...

Source(s): TR
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

First Jesus is our God. You asked christians not jws, mormons, or christian scientist, or some other fringe. God is ONE (caps for emphasis not shouting) being consisting in 3 persons. These three distinct persons are all equally fully God: Father Son Holy Spirit.

Just like humans are ONE being consisting of 3 parts (not persons) body soul spirit.

Jesus is His name for one of the persons. We dont have personal names for the other 2 persons. But Father is our Daddy so we call Him Daddy.

God YHWH Yahweh Jehovah are all personal names for the triune God.

God to me is very personal. Ive been growing in my personal relationship with Him for a long time now, God is personal to me, so is Lord.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Well two LOGICAL reasons, a name is a limitation and a name only exists for Others.

But you make the same point that classical philosophers made in saying there can only be One God, though you seem utterly unaware of it.

God comprehends in Himself the whole perfection of being. If then many gods existed, they would necessarily differ from each other. Something therefore would belong to one which did not belong to another. And if this were a privation, one of them would not be absolutely perfect; but if a perfection, one of them would be without it. So it is impossible for many gods to exist. Hence also the ancient philosophers, constrained as it were by truth, when they asserted an infinite principle, asserted likewise that there was only one such principle.

TO SPELL IT OUT : God is a proper name, only to you is it a common name.

• 7 years ago

God ostensibly does have a name; in the Hebrew text, he is referred to as "יהוה," which is usually transliterated as YAHWEH. If you want to learn more about the name, ‎the Wikipedia article is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton.

Although I myself am not a Christian, it seems likely to me that many refrain from spontaneously saying YAHWEH for one of two reasons. Unlike Jews, many denominations of Christianity aren't prevented from pronouncing the Tetragrammaton. However, they still have to observe the commandment found in Exodus 20: 7, "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." So the first reason is religious; a commandment from on high has forbidden them.

The second reason is more social; the term YAHWEH isn't used commonly in any language, so saying it now is somewhat of a deviation from the norm. We've invented a plurality of ways to get around saying YAHWEH; the Jews say "Adonai," the Christians say "the LORD," and the Muslims have 99 (or more) names through which they refer to God, although the most common is "Allah." After a couple thousand years, our use of YAHWEH has atrophied considerably. Now it just sounds kinda weird.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • epona
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Christians DON'T have a God exclusive to their religion. There is ONE God only, who is worshipped in many ways. Just as Jacques and Jack are the same name in different languages, some Christians refer to God as Jehovah or Jahweh.

Jesus is not God. Jesus is the Son of God.

• 7 years ago

Our God, Jehovah, had a son named Jesus. There you go.

• 7 years ago

True Christians should know who the only true God is. As Jehovah's Witnesses we are proud to say that the only true God name can be found in his word the Bible. Psalms 83:18 says: " That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth."

See where it says that PEOPLE. That includes Christians as well who do not know who is the only true and what his name is.

For more Bible based answers to your questions speak to one of Jehovah's Witnesses or visit our website for more information based on Gods Word.

www.jow.org

Source(s): Gods Word the Bible www.jw.org
  • "Our Father who art in heaven ... "

"Baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit" Mtt 28:19

• It's Yahweh, if they're going to use the OT in their bullshit book, than they should use the name the -original- people gave to their god.

• Moi
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

We do

Psa 83:15 So persecute them with thy tempest, and make them afraid with thy storm.

Psa 83:16 Fill their faces with shame; that they may seek thy name, O LORD.

Psa 83:17 Let them be confounded and troubled for ever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish:

Psa 83:18 That [men] may know that thou, whose name alone [is] JEHOVAH, [art] the most high over all the earth.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.