Am I eligible for Swedish citizenship?

I am 15 years old, was born in Australia and am an Australian citizen, however my mother is a Swedish citizen (now and at the time of my birth). My father is not Swedish and I have not lived in Sweden. Am I eligible to become a Swedish citizen through notification? Or would I have to apply? Dual citizenship was not allowed by either Sweden or Australia at the time of my birth but now it is. Thank you for your help!

• Phil
    Favorite Answer

"citizenship is conferred primarily by birth to a Swedish parent, irrespective of place of birth." And while DUal citizenship used to be an issue it would not ever have been an issue if you held dual nationality by reason of birth (ie, place of birth or citizenship of a parent), it was 'acquiring' a new citizenship that was a problem.

As I read it you are a Swedish citizen; you should contact the Swedish consulate to confirm and document your citizenship. I always recommend that you have a passport for every nationality you have it is the simplest way of proving and ensures you don't get caught in a passport limbo somewhere.

As you are not yet 22 you should absolutely contact the consulate to see what you must do to keep it.

"Although dual citizenship is permitted, a Swedish citizen who was born outside Sweden and is a citizen of another country will lose Swedish citizenship at age 22 unless he or she is granted approval to retain Swedish citizenship."