How to immigrate to the United States?

My family is from Canada. We're a family of 4, were white/European.

We would go to California. Reasons are more opportunities and a better university I could go to later on in life. Also much better weather, I hate the -25 degree winters. I like snow but it's bitterly cold where we are. So we want the better weather, better schools, and also a better quality of life. Yes, California has a better life than where we are.

Specifically we want LA or Orange County.

Anyways, I understand the US economy is okay. And it's recovering. Especially in California. We would be moving in maybe 2-3 years if we did. So by then I can see it'll be a bit more improved, as well as the immigration reform may be passed which will have a point system and a little easier ways to immigrate.

We will only immigrate legally. My dad would wanna be a teacher. He has been one here for 8 years, (10-11 by then when we move) and he is getting more school for better education. What would he need to teach there? How can he get a working visa to teach in the US? What classes may he have to take? Are there any links or websites please?

Please explain the legal steps and requirements for us to move there and for my parents to get a job. My dad probably would wanna teach, and my mom would get a part time job perhaps. What do we need? Please help. We really want and even need this. I would LOVE to live in your amazing state of California, and I'm prepared to stay for life. I love trips to California.

So please help. It's a big help. Thanks so much.


I don't want to be told not to move.

Canada is in debt too, we owe 90% of what we have. Sure, the US owes more but Canada is a lot less rich than the US, so not a huge difference in debt.

I just want to know the legal requirements how to do it. My dad is a K&E teacher who deals with kids who need extra help and sometimes quite rude. He's ready. Trust me. He said he wants to teach here.

3 Answers

  • larry
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    California IS NOT, an "amazing state"... There are plenty of universities that are far better,academically, than USC or UCLA....and as for a "Comfortable Living Environment" you can do exponentually better.

    I live in rural northern california and would much rather live in Alaska than have to deal with the crazy california drivers when I must. I have no clue where you have gotten your "False" information about the economy "ANYWHERE IN THE US". "Recovery" cannot happen with a "16+ Trillion Dollar National Debt" in your lifetime. The government has to "Barrow" the money necessary to pay the interest only on that debt and the government is digging the hole deeper every day.

    "STAY WHERE YOU ARE"!!! The United States as we know it today "Will Not Exist" within the next twenty years. The current administration is "Shredding" our Constitution. Marshal Law is on the horizon.

    It is well documented NATO troops are engaged in "Urban Warfare Excersizes" on United States Soil for the purpose of population control. FEMA (Federal Emergence Management Administration) has constructed as many as 800 detention camps all over the country with an average capacity of 20 thousand individuals. The largest compound is outside Fairbank, AK. with a capacity of 2 million individuals. FEMA has constructed several "Mass Grave Sites" each with a capacity of 100-200 thousand bodies. FEMA "Claims" (Fact) those grave sites are for "Military Personnel Killed In Battle". UTTERLY FALSE.

    Everything FEMA has constructed is for US Citizens That Resist Marshal Law. After hurricane Katrina, our military was sent door to door in the affected area to confiscate all privately owned firearms with "Orders To Shoot To Kill Anyone Who Resisted"!!! NATO troops will have the same orders during marshal law.


    The "IGNORANT MASSES" refuse to recognize what is happening.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    Pick a visa

    There are basically NINE ways that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

    (1) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.

    (2) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. scientific or medical training. A degree is normally a must. Or you have superior specialist skills with at least 12 years experience. (H visas)applications next received on 1st April 2014

    (3) You have an Employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (2) above.(L visas)

    (4) You may get a Green card in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland, are not generally eligible unless you, your spouse or parents were born abroad or held a different citizenship.

    (5)You own or buy business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no green card)You must be a national of a qualifying Treaty countries. The business must have a minimum value of around $150k (more the better) bearing in mind you will need somewhere to live and with any startup business you will need at least 2 years living money as back up. So a figure of $350k would be a nearer minimum (E-2 visas)

    (6)You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US $1m in assets to bring with you. half of that in a few areas. And your background will be investigated to the hilt. (EB-5 visas)

    (7)You have a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister and no further) who is an US citizen who would sponsor you, approx time this take 2-12 years?

    (8.The R1 visa is available to foreign members of religious denominations, having bona fide non-profit religious organizations in the U.S., for entering the U.S. to carry on the activities of a minister or religious worker as a profession, occupation or vocation

    (9)THE UNUSUAL You are in a position to claim refugee status/political asylum. or You get a member of Congress to sponsor a private bill with legislation that applies just to you.

    The S visa issued to persons who assist US law enforcement to investigate and prosecute crimes and terrorist activities such as money laundering and organized crime

    Recruitment agent will not take you seriously if you are not already in the US. Writing for jobs is really a waste of time; likewise US employers have no idea what foreign qualification are or mean (except Degrees) it may pay you to get your qualification translated into a US equivalent, there are Companies that do this ( ..

    But if you are getting a visa under (2) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. Your Employer will be your sponsor this will cost them upward of $5k. So you can see you have to be offering something really special to get considered They may also have to prove to the Dept of labor that tere is no American who can do the job if the position is to be permanent ©


    • Login to reply the answers
  • Andrew
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

    I wouldn't move here now if I were you. I would stay in Canada. True the economy is recovering, but we have other issues to deal with. We are very politically divided, almost 17 trillion dollars in debt, ect. My mom was a teacher and she HATED it. Being a teacher here is a lot of abuse, I won't lie. Now isn't the best time to move here.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.