Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Moving calculator, estimator...good site with comps?

I'm trying to compare the various methods of moving and for some reason, the Pods, Pack-Rat and other self-load container companies don't put prices on their sites, but require your info and then call you. I don't need to talk to anyone....this ploy actually makes me angry. Unfortunately, this is the method that I think will work best for me, so would love to hear from anyone who has used any Pods or self-load company for opinions. I think I'll need 2 of the largest containers, but wanted to get a closer idea.

3 bedrooms, living & den, kitchen, 2 baths, office, garage and attic/storage. Will most likely not be moving appliances, but part of the garage inventory is the minutia that when put together is a goodly sized RenFaire booth/biz.

Criminy....outdoor stuff too (table/chairs/fountain...rats) Gawd, am dreading this :(

Update:

What happened to the moving/packing category?? Can't find anything close to it...

Update 2:

@XTX...no-no-no.......not metal overseas shipping containers....these are storage modulars that are lightweight and dropped at your street address via truck, for cross-town or country move by roadway. You fill them up and seal them. The truck returns and loads it and either takes it to a centralized storage facility to await your instructions or delivers it directly to the address you give them. PODS,

1 Answer

Relevance
  • XTX
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

=== two large shipping containers are going to cost you about $26K to $30K == and you will need certified inventory and ""bill of lading"" for each container --- you need packers and probably an interior platform or 2nd floor to protect your things == the reason that you cannot find a calculator is that those companies want to do their own estimates AND get the most dollars from you for the shipment of your goods === the container goes to the nearest sea port and then is checked by US Customs and then put on a ship and moved to the port nearest to your destination and then trucked to your home == moving all of your stuff overseas will be a disappointment [[[ unless you are building a home that is large enough to handle all those rooms and the garage stuff, too == most homes that are overseas are very limited and closet space is small == arrange to take your new kitchen cabinets as the normal kitchen only has a single sink hanging on the wall ===== I hope the best for you and the move and if you do not have a residence picked out and rented or owned then it is best that you go to your new city and "" find and see and rent/buy """ and realize that half of what your plan to take is not needed == pair down and have a garage sale === sure it would be good to have the calculator BUT those container and moving co's want to get you to sign a contract and they will add-on fees at the final end that you never believed could happen .... be cautious ....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.