What does "The road to hell is paved with good intentions" mean?

I've herd that it means that 1. good dead's alone wont save your soul. And good works alone wont save your soul. You have to do both 2. It doesn't matter what your intentions were, whether they be good or bad as long as what the actions you do are good 3. If you know something is a sin and do it... show more I've herd that it means that
1. good dead's alone wont save your soul. And good works alone wont save your soul. You have to do both
2. It doesn't matter what your intentions were, whether they be good or bad as long as what the actions you do are good
3. If you know something is a sin and do it anyway because you think its the right thing you could go to hell
Update: For the people who insist on making snarky remarks. Stop wasting my time, and the time of those who are trying to be helpful.