Is this disorientation? What is this called?

A couple weeks ago I felt a weird little earthquake that lasted a few minutes. I live in the bay area so I thought nothing of it.

Then last night I was walking in the mall with my wife and I felt it again much stronger. I looked around and no one was reacting. I thought don't they feel this? I asked my wife and she didn't feel anything. Then when I started walking it felt like the ground was made of sponges and my body was pitching up and down like on the deck of a ship.

I was freaking out inside but I didn't want to scare my wife. We walked for a while and for about an hour it was sponge ground when walking and earthquake when standing still, constantly. When we got home it was gone and I had a very mild headache. It hasn't come back yet. I never felt this before in my life and I wasn't experiencing anxiety (expect that which the sensation was causing).

I looked online and the only thing I could find that matched perfectly was lupus. I also have an auto immune disorder called alopecia, but I've only ever heard of it attacking hair follicles, not the nervous system.

I couldn't find a specific term to describe it on a symptom tracker. Quaking, shaking, tremors and other words were all used to describe the shaking of the body, not the sensation of shaking (my actual body wasn't shaking). Does anyone know what this is called or could shed some light on the subject? thanks.

2 Answers

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    The orientation of your body isn't just about knowing that you are standing or laying down, it is about the messages your brain recieves from multiple sourses, including your inner ears. Crazy sounding but its the reason you get dizzy when you spin too fast or lose ballence when you have an ear ache. Look into it.

    Source(s): I used to get ear infections and not know it.
  • 7 years ago

    I have lupus and I distinctly remember a few episodes like that before I was diagnosed. Alopecia does not attack the nervous system. Lupus sometimes does, and in different ways. Rheumatologists diagnose and treat lupus. Find one at You might also want to consult a neurologist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.