Bought a new truck and its in the shop, what can we do?

We bought a brand new 2013 f350 and noticed it leaking oil when we were checking for a block heater plug. It has 700 miles on it. I took it in, and they turned me away the first day and had me come back. They couldnt find where the oil was coming from other then after it was driven, it leaks. They had to remove the trans and all fluids. They had to take both oil pans out and the gaskets all look fine. They are just replacing parts to see if that hopefully works. They have had it for a week already, they didnt want to pay for a loaner so I called Ford and they are covering it. I am not happy about this, I spent alot of money on a car and to see it in pieces breaks my heart. Machines are never the same once reassembled. Is there anything I can do, other then ask for Ford to buy me an extended warranty? I would really like a factory, sound, assembled truck. that is what I bought. Everyone seems to think I can just get a new one, but what is the likelyhood of that? I am not holding my breath, but I feel like I spent alot of money and I am not going to get back what I paid for. Thanks



I havent even made a payment on it yet, and only drove it for a week and a half.

Update 2:

I did not buy the truck at this dealer since the particular truck I wanted was far and few between, I didnt think it wise to drive a truck leaking oil 200 miles away for repairs. Its not that I find anything "magical" but when you buy something new, it should be of sound quality.

As for an extended warranty, it might help keep peace of mind that they can stand behind their work is all, if the build and mechanical work they have done now is good, I shouldnt need to use an extended warranty but its a piece of mind is all. Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

10 Answers

  • Vicky
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi Nikki K,

    I understand your concerns.

    I was in the auto business (mostly Ford) for over 25 years.

    The "lemon laws" vary from state to state, but Ford WILL comply with your states laws.

    see Ford PDF warranty info for 2012:

    ^section 11, page 35, says:


    11. State warranty enforcement laws

    These state laws - sometimes called lemon laws - allow owners to receive

    a replacement vehicle or a refund of the purchase price, under certain

    circumstances. The laws vary from state to state.

    To the extent your state law allows, Ford Motor Company requires that

    you first send us a written notification of any defects or non-conformities

    that you have experienced with your vehicle. (This will give us the

    opportunity to make any needed repairs before you pursue the remedies

    provided by your state’s law.)

    In all other states where not specifically required by state law, Ford

    Motor Company requests that you give us the written notice. Send your

    written notification to:

    Ford Motor Company

    Customer Relationship Center

    Dearborn, MI 48126


    I live (and worked) at dealerships in Illinois.

    This is from my states website:


    Is My Vehicle a Lemon?

    In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:

    have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

    be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

    The Lemon Law DOES Cover: New Cars (purchased or leased)

    Light Trucks and vans under 8,000 pounds

    Recreational vehicles (excluding trailers)

    Vehicles in their first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first

    Vehicles purchased in Illinois


    It is important that you start keeping accurate documentation.

    Rarely have I seen a vehicle that had to be replaced.. but it DOES happen.

    Sometimes it is for a reason much less serious than a fluid leak.

    In every case that I've ever seen, Ford was compliant and satisfied the customer 100%

    I can recommend that you also contact the Yahoo!Answers Ford Service representative account:

    I hope this helps, and try to stay calm.. I know that's hard when faced with a difficult situation like yours, but please be patient and diligent. As for an extended warranty.. I have seen Ford offer that as an additional "peace of mind" for customers in situations similar to yours, so don't rule that out.

    I think you should also contact the service department manager of the dealership you purchased it from, and if your financing is with Ford Motor Credit co., you may want to contact them as well.

    Do not risk getting a ding on your good credit by withholding payments on your loan, but DO let them know the situation and they *Might* offer an exception for you.

    Good Luck

    Source(s): In the Auto business 1983-2010
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    Is there another Ford dealership in your area? If so, call Ford's customer care and aftersales representative for your region and explain to them what is going on. Tell them you aren't comfortable leaving your truck with the current dealer because they seem unable to handle your problem, and that you would like to have someone else look at it. If they can't find the cause of an oil leak, they shouldn't be licensed by Ford to work on vehicles. I don't see why it would help for them to buy you an extended warranty...those only pick up when your factory warranty runs out, which is, what? 3 years from now? What good will that do you? Check out the lemon law for your state. If a dealer keeps your vehicle for a length of time without diagnosing/fixing the problem, they are required to buy it back and replace it with a mechanically sound vehicle.

    Source(s): work at a GM dealership
  • B
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

    If the truck is at a fully licenses Ford Dealer, they are bound by contract with Ford Motor Company to work on ANY warranty vehicle as if it were sold from their dealership. After this problem is fixed, or if it is not, return to the original dealer(you should have contacted them by now anyway? and let them know about the situation. Your first wove should have been call the dealer you purchased the truck from.

    They would have made arrangements to either : Pick up the vehicle, make arrangements for a local dealer to pick it up or some other option to have it serviced. Right now you are at the mercy of this dealership. Contact YOUR dealership so they can contact the one that has your truck to find out the status.

    Source(s): In business for 40 years, common sense as a consumer.
  • 6 years ago

    There isn't really much that you can do. But the dealers service tech should have first added an ultra-violet dye to the oil and then, after running the truck for a while, checked it with a black light to find exactly where the leak is coming from. That's the fastest, least expensive way to find a fluid leak these days and is common place now.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Brent
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    Uh, Bobby M, how about going back to talking about IAC valves and how they erroneously function and leave Lemon law to others? KTHNXBYE.

    Actually, OP, evidently you did not buy a sound truck from the factory. Letting a dealer fiddle with it won't change that for the worse. If it comes to Lemon Law, then you will have read the packet that came with you owners manual and know how to proceed from there.

    That's all you can do.

    If you buy a bran new car that is not working right, the car is called a "lemon"


    How about you read some of your research, Benny?

    Source(s): If a dealer keeps your vehicle for a length of time without diagnosing/fixing the problem, they are required to buy it back and replace it with a mechanically sound vehicle. --- WRONG.
  • J J
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

    Everyone seems to think you can just get a new one? You could trade this one in for a new one but you will not get Ford or the dealer to just give you another. And they will not buy you a extended warranty As much as it breaks your heart you have to let them do there work. If they can not fix it and it keeps coming back then you can talk lemon law to a lawyer. Get receipts.

  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    You seem to think a factory assembled truck has some sort of magical quality. Yours leaked after 700 miles so there goes that fairy tale. Document this and future repairs and go look up your states lemon law. The "everyone" who thinks you can just get a new one are seriously mistaken. You'll first have to prove, typically, three attempts by the dealer to fix the problem then file a complaint. Why buy a vehicle from a dealer whom you have no faith in their ability to make repairs?

  • 6 years ago

    There is not much you can do, lemon laws kick in only when the dealer is given several chances to fix the problem but is unable to and the problem continues. Its unfortunate but experiences like this have driven me to Japanese made brands, happy as a clam ever since. I realize that there are no 3/4 ton imports though.

  • 6 years ago

    FOrd shoudl give you a BRAND NEW TRUCK with NO quetions asked! You can REFUSE to take this truck back if you want to, and consult with a LEMON LAW LAWYER! I have helpd a few people to get REFUNDS from poorly made CARS and TRUCKS! It shodul be EASY to see where LEAKS come fromis they use a fluid additive that wil GLOW under ULTRA VIOLET LIGHTING! NNAd you are WRONG about a car or truck NOT being OK after it is "RE-assembled" an OIL leak, though ANNOYING< does NOT affect the guts of the ENGIEN or the TRANS! IT MGIHT have been damaged in TRANSPORT fromt eh factroy to the dealership! They WILL give you a OANER bacuase that is GODO BUSINESS! But I woudl STILL have them get you a DIFFERENT TRUCK! CALL FORD and complain! They WILL help you! GOOD LUCK!!

  • 6 years ago

    You need to take it back to the dealer as soon as possible. Don't spend money getting it fixed. There is a law in all states called the Lemon Law. If you buy a bran new car that is not working right, the car is called a "lemon"

    If you do not believe me you could research "Lemon Law" on google or

    Source(s): Online Cars Associate
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.